cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP rules

RobDickson
Grafter

IMAP rules

Am I missing something, or is it not possible to set up IMAP rules on PlusNet e-mail accounts?
I've looked in the webmail settings and the e-mail settings on my account, but I can't see anything.
If it's not possible at the moment, is it something that's likely to be implemented in the future?
24 REPLIES 24
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: IMAP rules

what sort of rules are you trying to use?, normally account rules are set here
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?3A9gtk3TO7Vnm5tygj41WxGvNgoXUgKqC3f0fFmIgOsmrrsujjYNOoAbUr2%2FgAxC&r...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to work for me:
"Unfortunately, this feature is not available with your current account. To raise any queries and to upgrade your account, please use the Contact Us tool here at the Portal"
The kind of rules I'm talking about are message rules that would automatically move certain e-mails into certain folders. The kind of thing that's easy to set up in e-mail clients, but I think that it's possible for it to be done on the server automatically.
Edit:
This kind of thing:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,16041
pierre_pierre
Grafter

strange it goes here for me
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I doesn't work for me
If you are an existing customer
Unfortunately, this feature is not available with your current account. To raise any queries and to upgrade your account, please use the Contact Us tool here at the Portal
If you have recently joined PlusNet
It may take up to 30 minutes until you can access this feature of your account. Please try again later. Go back
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think this is the link pierre meant https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes&?membermenu=emailsettings then click on Manage My Mail
But I don't think that does what you want
fourfourdevon
Grafter

OldJim, as with *most* plusnet links, for me, that leads me to update my credit card details.
Annoys the hell out of me, I see that stupid page several times a day, and I wish I didn't.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it does for me Jim, I have seven sub folders and use message rules to put the e-mails into my selected folders, it works for POP3 and IMAP with the same rules
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks for the posts.
@pierre_pierre:
I just can't see how one can set those message rules up. I looked through all the Manage My Mail settings before posting on the forum, and have just looked through them again.
The screen that I see looks the same as the screenshot that you kindly uploaded. Which tab did you click on to create the rules?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

pierre_pierre is talking rot - what he is referring to is how you can direct mail to different mailboxes, not how you can move emails to sub folders of the inbox within a mailbox. You are wanting to set up server side rules and those are not available on Plusnet.
The best you can do is to set up rules in client software to move emails as you need - then however you subsequently view the mailbox you will see the emails where you want (including in webmail). Unfortunately that isn't going to help you if you normally go in via webmail so your client doesn't get to do it's stuff first.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

terminology on my part OK I have seven mail boxes, six of those are direct one for my regular mail i.e the wife gets mail at Sue@pierre, that automaitally goes to Sue.  but I also get Odd mail, I use server side to send that to an Odd mailbox, nothing goes their automattically so I set up redirect rule under aliases to send those via rules to a) the dustbin or B to th odd box, that is on the Alias tab,  and shown in the summary tab
When I use Outlook express you can do more sub folder local
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It's nothing to do with terminology - the OP was clearly asking about server side rules and server side rules (like client side rules) can work on any part of an email, not just the recipients address.
If you think it can be done please give be step by step instructions on how to set the following up on the Plusnet servers so that without me running any client (e.g. Thunderbird or Outlook etc)  so that when I log in to webmail emails received are already in the correct folder:
I have a mailbox called John, most of my emails coming in are sent to john@mydomain.me.uk or john@username.plus.com. Using IMAP I have created a number of folders underneath it. According to the following rules I want emails moved:
If the sender is mybrother@hisdomain.co.uk or mysister@herdomain.com I want the emails moved to a sub-folder called of the inbox  called Family
If the subject of an email begins [RecycleGiftingMidSussex (Freegle)] or either of the other Freegle groups I belong to I want the email moved to a sub-folder of the inbox (still within the mailbox John) called Freegle.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the last bit is difficult but the family bit is no problem
do it like I did with the Odds.  make a mail box called family then set up alias rules to send mum@, sister@,brother@ to family  then on web mail they will be in jelv+family
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Rubbish! Read what I said.
The emails are all sent to john@mydomain.me.uk or john@username.plus.com - they will all end up in the mailbox John.
It is the senders address that has to be checked to move to the appropriate folder within that mailbox.