Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP painfully slow

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

IMAP painfully slow

For the last few days I've found IMAP to be painfully slow. Sending a simple text mail can take a minute or more and deleting messages often results in them changing colour but staying present and going back to unread at the next sync. Sent messages are often left in Drafts. Moving from one unread message to the next similarly can take ten or more seconds. This is not conducive to modern living, when one might have a lot of messages to read.

I know E-mail has long been PN's achille's heel, but really, IMAP's not much good if it can't respond instantly to a request.

4 REPLIES 4
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: IMAP painfully slow

Hi @kjpertrie,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Are you sending these via Webmail or a Mail Client?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro

I use Claws Mail as a client. I never log in to webmail unless I think I might need to do something the client can't handle, which is very rare.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting back in touch. I'd meant to ask before, but are you noticing this is occurring at any particular time of the day? Also, if it does occur again, please could you try sending an email through the Webmail portal to see if there is any difference in the speed this is taking to complete? If you're sending multiple emails out at once, I'd recommend limiting this to make sure that this also isn't affecting the speed of the service.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro

Was it back in August I had that problem? How time flies. Anyway, I gave up on IMAP. As I have a static IP address I simply set up a couple of MTAs on my machines here and all incoming mail other than to my PN address now goes through those. They also act as relays to PN for my outgoing mail so they, rather than my client, have to wait while those get accepted as everything's now local so far as my desktop is concerned.

A bit drastic, I know, but it's done the trick.