cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP folder deletion

curioussort

IMAP folder deletion

First post from a newbie. I'm using WLM 2011 (Win 7 Home Premium x64) and have recently converted my PC to IMAP (from POP3) as I'm in the process of installing Win 8.1 on my other devices (laptops, tablet, phones). All went well and email performed as expected until suddenly WLM stopped receiving emails. Inspection of my mailbox on the server shows 2 Inboxes, one of which WLM can see and one it doesn't -if I move emails from one to the other WLM can see them. Both have the same name but one has a tray beside it (WLM doesn't see it) and the other a folder (WLM does see it).Anyone know how to delete the unnecessary 'tray' mailbox? Or tell WLM to see it? I shall be upgrading this PC to Win 8.1 soon(ish) and it may well be a case of wait until I've done that.  Roll_eyes Ray.
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: IMAP folder deletion

In Webmail (https://webmail.plus.net) my Inbox shows as a tray, and additional folders I've added (none of which are called Inbox) show as yellow folders). So is the Inbox that WLM *can't* see the one with a folder? And does it contain anything? Huh
David
decomplexity
Rising Star

Re: IMAP folder deletion

If you are inspecting your mailboxes on the server via PN webmail, the Inbox with a ‘tray’ symbol is the one you want to use. Anything with a ‘folder’ icon needs removing (unless you deliberately want to use extra folders)
I think your culprit might have initially been one of your Windows Phone devices: there is no way* in Windows Phone mail to point an IMAP mailbox (Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Trash,…) at any particular named IMAP folder; the classic example is Windows Phone insisting that the Sent folder is called Sent Items, even though the desired central PN IMAP folder is called Sent. So if you use WLM and Windows Phone, you can easily end up with two ‘sent’ folders.  I have not seen this happen with Inboxes but there is always a first time…
Try
a. logging off WLM from the PC and switch off any tablet / smartphone , then
b. using webmail, copy everything from the Inbox with a folder icon to the Inbox with a tray icon.
c. click the ‘folder actions’ (cog and down-arrow) button at the bottom left of the screen, and select Manage Folders. Your tray-icon Inbox should have its tick box greyed out. Delete the other Inbox.
d. Go back into WLM, select IMAP folders and click on ‘reset’
With luck you will have one (the right one) Inbox
Then switch on one of your Windows Phone devices and go into ‘mail.
Then check with PN webmail again to see if another Inbox has been added. Hopefully not…
If WLM is still not playing ball, remove any Inbox setting (which should read 'Inbox' - without quotes...) and the ‘check for new messages in all folders’ tick from WLM accounts properties Advanced. Now select IMAP folders and reset. (You may now find that your account only has an Inbox in the LH folders list column in the main email display screen. Don’t worry!) Now go back into WLM accounts properties Advanced, select IMAP folders, key in ‘Inbox’ into the Inbox box and tick the ‘check for new messages…’ box, and - unless WLM does an IMAP folder reset for you - reset again.

* - unless some recent release has improved things!
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017