cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP Trouble

Will7

IMAP Trouble

Hi All,

I’ve finally moved over from a pop3 account on one device to IMAP accounts on two devices - a laptop and iPhone, but I just can’t get my head around it.

I expected IMAP to work just like my work Exchange account, the situation on the server mirrored on all devices where I had my Plusnet email IMAP account running, but this doesn’t seem to be the case.

The native Mail client on my iPhone seems to be struggling most of all. Emails disappear and then reappear at random, sometimes it says it’s downloading over 1000 emails, sometimes 70, sometimes just a few, but whatever the status bar says, what’s actually in the inbox seems to change randomly from day to day. At the moment for example my iPhone is only showing emails from a couple of weeks ago and further back.

There are, admittedly, a lot of emails of mine on the server because I transferred all my old pop3 emails in to my new IMAP inbox. I need to go through and tidy it up and strip it right back, but even so, I can’t figure out why the relationship between my two clients and the server seems to be so erratic.

It just seems totally random and I can’t see rhyme or reason in it anywhere.

Are there common limitations to IMAP that I might just not be aware of? Is this to be expected, and has anyone else had anything similar?

Cheers, Will.

1 REPLY 1
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: IMAP Trouble

Hi Will,

A warm welcome to the forums.

IMAP should indeed work as you suggest, however, this is a recurrent issues with iPhones - which model do you have?  Just do a Google search - there are a lot of references to the issue for example see Fixed: Emails Disappear from iPhone | Recover Disappeared Emails o iPhone - EaseUS

Deleting the mailbox on the iPhone and recreating it seems like a common "fix".

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.