cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP Account - Cannot delete emails - delete folder disappeared

Liteman

IMAP Account - Cannot delete emails - delete folder disappeared

One of my Plusnet email addresses is set as IMAP. Today I have found that I cannot delete emails, if I try to delete one, I get the pop up message saying that "This operation cannot be performed because the object has been deleted". I have also noticed that the Deleted folder has disappeared. How can this be fixed, please? 

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: IMAP Account - Cannot delete emails - delete folder disappeared

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

You do not say how you are accessing the mailbox, just the protocol (IMAP).

What device are you using?

What email program are you using? (especially the version if "outlook")

What happens / do you see if you access the mailbox via webmail?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Liteman

Hi Townman

The problem is the same on the two laptops I have used. I'm using Windows 10 and Outlook 365. The account is set up as standard IMAP

Probably me being a bit thick, but I can't see the particular email address in webmail, I have 3 addresses that I use and not sure how to access the 3 different adresses - not much help to you, sorry.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

What can you see and do on your local install of Outlook?

Dave

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,

On webmail you access the primary email account using <PLUSNET account name>

To access a secondary mailbox to use <PLUSNET account name>+<MAILBOX name>

Without <>

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Liteman

Thanks to all who responded, much appreciated - have now taken the drastic action of deleting the account from Outlook, however I did create a new account using the same login details before I did so. This has fixed he problem, don't know why I didn't try that in the first place! 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,

Given that the configuration is IMAP, it is not a drastic as you might think!  There are situations where the sync process seems to become skewed.  Such is why looking at the mailbox via webmail is useful.  It clarifies if there is indeed the email / folder you are not seeing on a local client.

I have also seen folders / mail items not appear in outlook if the root folder is not specified.  I have never been able to bottom out the reason for this.