Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to reduce my mailbox but can't see the messages

chaswick
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I want to reduce my mailbox but can't see the messages

When I log into webmail.plus.net to access my inbox it takes several minutes "loading" and then shows an empty page with a note at the bottom that says "messages 1 to 40 of 3475". I've tried looking at the previous page but get the same result; just a note saying "messages 41 to 80". I want to see what these messages are before I delete any of them to create more space. I deleted messages a few years ago without getting these blank pages. Can anyone help please?

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: I want to reduce my mailbox but can't see the messages

Slow webmail

There is a known gremlin in the third party Round Cube webmail program which can cause delays in listing emails - see the end user mitigation post at the top of the Email board here. It somewhat appears that any sorting or filtering on a large mailbox cripples the performance of RC webmail, where as the 'basic' webmail program (Squirrel Mail) is not affected. Using Squirrel Mail can be an effective way of accessing a mail box which is running slow with RC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chaswick
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks Townman. A short while ago, just before I saw your message, I had another attempt at viewing the messages. On this occasion they appeared. I started to delete them page by page, but each page only listed 40 messages. It took about 1 min per page to transfer a page load to the Deleted Files folder, and a further 30 secs to refresh to the next page. So if 40 messages take at total of 1.5 minutes, 2500 odd messages will take.......over 60 hours! Are you saying I can do all this in Squirrel Mail much quicker?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Probably.

On both webmail programs you can change the number of items displayed per page, which helps to some extent with Round Cube.  With the mitigation applied it is more manageable, but still not as fast as Squirrel Mail.

The fact that Squirrel Mail is so much faster accessing the same email store, points to an issue with the email client software, rather than the mail server infrastructure.  You might well find it equally quick to manage your email using a PC client side email program.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.