cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've messed up my emails I think please help!

Sadie
Grafter

I've messed up my emails I think please help!

I've been a bit of a muppet and think I've messed up my emails - I really some help!

Short bit of background.
I have my main Plusnet email and a Gmail address.
I set up a second gmail address which I incorrectly set up using IMAP.  My other emails are POP.
When I realised that I'd done this I decided to change my second gmail address to POP (as I've since been told that it should have been POP) but stupidly I've forgotten my password for that address.  I requested a password reminder from google and a google message came up on the screen that they have sent me a verification code to my Plusnet email address (my 'recovery' email).  I haven't received that email.
I was just going to forget about that second gmail address as I haven't really used it BUT the trouble now is that I'm not receiving any emails into my main Plusnet address.  Does this mean that the verification code email is 'blocking' other emails into my Plusnet address.
Is this something to do with the IMAP/POP thing?
Please can somebody help me sort this out? 
10 REPLIES 10
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: I've messed up my emails I think please help!

pcathomerepairs
Grafter

Imap and pop are nearly the same you could use both on different systems i prefer imap
Sadie
Grafter

My missing emails are not in my junk folder, and I haven't received any emails (including test messages that friends have sent) for 3 days and I've checked the webmail and there's nothing there either - I shall have to hope PN can talk me through this.
Outgoing mail is working.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Are you logging into webmail with 'username' or 'username+mailbox'?
While logged into webmail you should try sending yourself an email from there.  Also try sending to 'postmaster@username.plus.com'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Did you (intentionally or otherwise) set up the gmail account to pull emails from plusnet or for plusnet to automatically redirect emails to gmail? The latter can be checked by logging in to "member centre" and selecting "email settings -> manage my mail".
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Sadie
Grafter

Quote from: PeeGee
Did you (intentionally or otherwise) set up the gmail account to pull emails from plusnet or for plusnet to automatically redirect emails to gmail? The latter can be checked by logging in to "member centre" and selecting "email settings -> manage my mail".

I don't think so - I have separate Inboxes for my different email addresses and PN emails go to one and gmails go to the one/two gmail addresses I have.
I've checked and there are no 'redirects'. 
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

That's one more thing eliminated Roll_eyes You haven't mentioned your e-mail client, though I don't think that could be a problem - unless your have a virus/malware problem. Have you done virus/malware checks recently? Always worth checking again Smiley
As a further test, can you send an e-mail to your plusnet account from your gmail account, using webmail and not your e-mail client (outlook?), and then use webmail to check for its arrival. Make sure your e-mail client is not running while you do this (otherwise it could invalidate the test by trying to fetch mail).
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Sadie
Grafter

I've done  a malwarebytes scan and a Comodo virus scan and nothing to report on either of them.
When I joined PN I had another PN email address set up and this is the one that's not working.  I have a PN email that is email @ (my name).plus.com and this is the one that comes up when I go to webmail.  However, I don't use this.  The one I use is (my name) @ (where I live).plus.com.  In my email clinet, Thunderbird there are inboxes for both these PN addresses.
From my Gmail account I can send an email to my first PN address - the one I don't use, which I can see on the webmail screen, then when I open Thunderbird it comes into my unused PN inbox; I cannot send an email from Gmail to the PN address I do use.
I can send an email from my unused webmail PN address to my gmail, but my PN address that I always use is not listed in PN webmail, and I can't retrieve any emails there.
I'm even confusing myself now!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

OK, something's confusing here.  If your Plusnet username is (MyName) then you can normally only have mailboxes (email accounts/names) in the form something@(MyName).plus.com, if you have an email address containing (where I live) then it's more likely to be (where I live)@(MyName).plus.com.
For any email address in the form something@(MyName).plus.com, you can log into the mailbox on webmail by using '(MyName)+something' in the Username field and the appropriate password in the Password field.
If you got to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes&?membermenu=emailsettings then click 'manage my mail' you can see all your mailbox names and, if necessary, change passwords (except, I think, on the 'master' mailbox).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Sadie
Grafter

My email address I use all the time (at least I did up to 5 days ago!) is (my name) @ (where i live) - honest Smiley
Well, I've spoken to PN and they are of the opinion that the problem lies with Thunderbird, nothing to do with PN, but the support chap was kind enough to at least sort out a stopgap workround for me so for that address I'm now using LiveMail.  Not ideal but I can now access my  emails.  It was only the incoming emails I couldn't get - I could still send.
I'll just have to live with using two email clients I suppose, but it is rather cumbersome.
Thanks for all help given, and if anybody has any other thoughts I'd be very grateful to hear from you, because I'm not convined that it is a Thunderbird problem else why would other emails work in Thunderbird.  Doesn't seem logical, so I'm sure it's something I've clicked on that I shouldn;t have done Undecided