cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think a PlusNet member`s email address is sending spam.... what should I do?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I think a PlusNet member`s email address is sending spam.... what should I do?

It`s all in the title....
what should I do?
What Can I do.?
who should I report it to?

5 REPLIES 5
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: I think a PlusNet member`s email address is sending spam.... what should I do?

Report it to PlusNet
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I think a PlusNet member`s email address is sending spam.... what should I do?

I tried reporting a similar problem to Plusnet a couple of years ago, and I got a reply along the lines of - it's not Plusnets responsibility to alert other customers regarding potential security issues with their machines.
In the end I just blocked the half dozen or so problematic Plusnet users from my network, and it was no longer MY problem.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Theoretically you should report it to abuse@plus.net - but I've seen posts in the past that this doesn't achieve much.
Perhaps setting up a rule to forward them to j.ford <at> plus.net might get the problem noticed!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MrC
Grafter

Do the headers identify the original source IP address as being in a Plusnet controlled range? If so then you can try dropping a note to abuse@plus.net including all the headers so they can try to do something about it.
If the originating IP address isn't a Plusnet one then you can try and send an email to the relevant abuse address for that network, although this'll probably have no use whatsoever.
Note that using the From: address to determine the source of spam is next to useless - it's a trivial exercise for a spammer to create emails with a From: address of anything they want  Sad
Alternatively just mark the email as spam and move on....
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Thanks for the input, guys.... I will send the header to abuse@plusnet..... It is not a "malicious" report, more a "security issue" for the person who`s email address is being used.... My sister had a BIG problem with similar a couple of months ago... and that was a BT email address...