Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I take it Webmail's down again?

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: I take it Webmail's down again?

Ground to a halt at the moment. Much worse than the usual slowness...
silverfinch
Grafter

Hi, I have found, over the last two days, that email is ok if I use IE but if I use Google I am getting the 'session has expired' and it kicks me out in the middle or reading/sending an email. This happened just a few minutes ago.
grumpybob
Grafter

Have noticed that my webmail access has, over the last few days, been losing connection intermittently. This evening I haven't been able to get in at all (since about 2100hrs).
That's it! I've had enough. I have put this off, over and over again, because changing ISP is a pain in the rear but, now that I've started the ball rolling (I have set up an alternative, web-based email account and started to change my email address with various companies) there is no going back. I will, in the not too distant future, be an ex-Plusnet customer and nothing is going to change my mind about that. The service and reliability of Plusnet remains perfectly adequate in most respects but I need reliable access to my email no matter where I am or when and Plusnet haven't been willing/able to provide that for several years - with a VERY marked decline in recent months, especially. So, it will be the reliability and dependability of webmail that will cost Plusnet my custom. The idea that you can have a failing service and tell your customers it is going to take (at least) several months to fix is simply absurd in this day and age. I'd imagine the tech guys are doing there best but, as in so many other places, I expect the staff numbers are being pared to the bone and the remaining staff simply haven't got a prayer of keeping up with demand.
I am done here.
ScottStorey
Pro

You have probably had issues this evening because of http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125148.0.html
grumpybob
Grafter

@93 - Maybe, but I wasn't able to use webmail from about 2200hrs so that doesn't fit properly with Plusnet's "announced" outage (midnight to 0800 on Sat 22 March). On the subject of announcements, I agree with drj's point on the other thread you refer to: for something as important as a long outage on a key service, Plusnet shouldn't be expecting people to sign up to an additional alerts service but, instead, should be giving proper notice to all affected customers. This outage is typical of Plusnet's cavalier attitude to service provision in recent years and I fed up with it.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Would be interesting to hear people's experiences with Webmail following the maintenance over the weekend?
Quote from: grumpybob
@93 - Maybe, but I wasn't able to use webmail from about 2200hrs so that doesn't fit properly with Plusnet's "announced" outage (midnight to 0800 on Sat 22 March).

It doesn't, however this covers anything outside of that period.
Quote from: grumpybob
On the subject of announcements, I agree with drj's point on the other thread you refer to: for something as important as a long outage on a key service, Plusnet shouldn't be expecting people to sign up to an additional alerts service but, instead, should be giving proper notice to all affected customers. This outage is typical of Plusnet's cavalier attitude to service provision in recent years and I fed up with it.

Sorry you feel that way. It's nothing new though and is the approach we've always taken. Certainly for the last decade or so. It's likely to have been coupled with a recorded message should anyone have attempted to call our support lines.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

silverfinch
Grafter

HI, I have now been 'kicked out' using Google halfway through typing an email, this was approx. 10 minutes ago . Real nuisance as it was fairly long, didn't even save to draft as it does on IE so had to start all over again and the person I was communicating with has now logged off.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

How long? The session will time out after a certain amount of inactivity and typing into the compose window is unlikely to count. There's an option under settings > composing messages > automatically save draft that allows you to periodically save drafts of the messages you're typing. I'd imagine that would help in situations like this?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

drj
Aspiring Pro

... as would the addition of an auto-copying add-on. I have Textarea Cache on my Firefox which is wonderful when you have a crash.
drj
Aspiring Pro

I actually came here to thank Plusnet - fingers crossed - for eventually sorting out webmail. It seems to be much improved since the recent maintenance outage.
silverfinch
Grafter

Hi, I had only just logged in to start the email so, about 4 minutes. It is already set to save draughts, does it every 5 minutes.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Change it to three minutes? Grin
On a serious note, I'm not sure why that happened. Keep an eye on it and shout up if it becomes a regular occurrence.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

silverfinch
Grafter

Thank you, I think! Will do. Crazy
silverfinch
Grafter

It just did it again Cry Luckily this time I had just hit send before the 'your session has expired' popped up. I had logged in via IE again. I only do that regularly as I check Outlook and then as PlusNet is on the  favourites bar I go in that way as it is convenient (plus Norton does not poke it's nose in either. This happened at 18.41 according to my sent folder. Ummmm just lost internet access entirely! Had to restart router twice, still nothing then as I was staring at laptop wondering what to do next it suddenly came on around 20.40 Crazy
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Just reading my emails on-line (2 short emails from support just saying my fault is on hold - non web mail related). Logged into webmail, and then clicked and read the first email, probably took 8 seconds. Clicked the second email and then was presented in the reading pane with a login prompt for Plusnet web mail.
So timed out in 8 seconds!
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT