cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I pad mail stopped sending on old freenetname account

Nigelb1

I pad mail stopped sending on old freenetname account

Hi Can someone confirm the settings for outgoing mail?

i am using smtpmail.freenetname.co.ukn my I pad

receiving mail ok but just goes to outbox and sits there.  If a log into Plusnet webportal all fine.

7 REPLIES 7
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: I pad mail stopped sending on old freenetname account

Y get a feeling that when I had this problem you had to use the Plusnet mail server and port to make it work if you are not connected to PN.

Hopefully an expert will be along soon!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Details of the SMTP server settings would be helpful please.

Did this ever work?

If yes, what has changed, particularly how the iPad is connecting to the internet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Nigelb1

Hi

yes all working well till I arrived on holiday and accessed different wi fi. Web browsing fine.

outgoing host. smtpmail.freenetname.co.uk

username.  My e mail address

password. I know correct

authentication.  Password

server port 587

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

What is the exact error message?

I would suspect that the IP address on the Wi-Fi you are connected to is deemed suspect.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Nigelb1

Cannot connect to outgoing mail server for smtpmail.freenet-name.co.uk

i am in Antigua in my home with local broadband company ATC. If this is the issue is there anything I can do to get my address “approved” ?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ah!  So not only not connected to the PlusNET network, but also overseas.  Double jeopardy!

So not only do you face the possibility of a black listed IP address but also sending  restrictions from overseas.  There is even to possibly that the authorities have placed restrictions on access to external SMTP services.  You might try port 465 instead.  Though deprecated and ought not to be used it does work for PlusNET servers and might go unnoticed!

There is nothing you can do to address this yourself beyond trying to connect via a different Wi-Fi service.

Alternatively use the webmail interface.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

A couple od suggestions which may or may not be of any use!

1. Use a gmail account for sending with a cc to the PN account so you have a record of it and change the reply adddress to PN too.

2. Send via your mobile phone. This is minimal data cost and should appear on all your linked devices. The port setting is crucial here

PN webmail could be handy but is functionally hopeless particularly in terms of speed.

P S I had a similar problem when I was abroad a couple of weeks ago - in Wales!