Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm receiving someone's email on my domain

tarencapel

I'm receiving someone's email on my domain

This is curious. I have a domain hosted by Plus Net (for a long time). A

e.g. spingle.co.uk

All email to this domain comes forwarded to my Plus email account. 

At the start of the week, I suddenly receive email from a reputable supermarket to a user using my domain

e.g. jim@spingle.co.uk. This 'Jim' has bought some groceries for delivery today  (not using my card details, incidentally - but I have seen the last 4 digits of his/hers!)

Simple questions - 1) how can this 'Jim' create an email using my domain?

2) Is he/she also receiving these emails?

TC

4 REPLIES 4
greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: I'm receiving someone's email on my domain

It sounds like the supermarket haven't attempted to verify that the e-mail address he has used actually 'belongs' to him. It'd be very standard procedure for a customer to create an account with an associated e-mail address but the account couldn't be used until the customer replies to a e-mail from the business to verify that e-mail address.

Would you care to share the supermarket's name? Just so I can have a laugh at their expense.

I once had similar when someone signed up to a football related site using the domain I've got. I got the e-mail address deregistered at the site. Whether that e-mail address was part of that person's login details for the site wasn't my concern.

1) Sites will accept any mail address. How do they know at that point whether it is either a valid mail address or whether it 'belongs' to the person that entered the details. Therefore they should then verfify. (Just like you had to when registering to use the PN community website).

2) Unlikely (IMO) unless the account has a secondary e-mail address associated with it.

If I were feeling very cruel I'd use any data in that e-mail in an attempt to get the shopping cancelled.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

I’ve got a domain.co.uk someone else has the domain.co, amazing how many people automatically add .co.uk 

tarencapel

It’s Iceland 🙂

They were due to deliver the recipient’s first online order today, including Heinz Macaroni and Cheese!

TC
greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I was hoping it'd be a company less immune to be being embarassed. But there again, the likes of T, S, M, & W have probably got a more robust (correct) systems.

The other 'excuse' that this customer could possibly have is that he/she mis-typed the domain part of the mail address. Which is why there should be a verification.