cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can no longer send emails

DawnB13
Hooked

I can no longer send emails

For some reason yesterday my emails wouldn't go; the same thing then happened on my iPad and this morning my iPhone too.  I still get incoming emails but the message I get when trying to send is ' rejected by the server'.  I only have Plusnet.  

7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: I can no longer send emails

If it's a 552 error then your messages are probably getting rejected by our spam filters. Are you sending mail from a domain address, or are the rejected messages only to a certain destination?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Building on Bob's question, are the emails your are having difficulty sending, replies to emails you've received.  Sometimes the SPAM filters complain about content in the received email to which you are replying and contained in the email you are sending.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DawnB13
Hooked

I am using webmail which appears to be unaffected - everything I try to send is rejected on my phone and iPad.  I wonder if it is something which has gone astray on the iMac?  At least I have webmail as I am going away and was panicking about work coming in while I was away!

DawnB13
Hooked

I can't send anything - I have even tried ones to myself.  I do have webmail however - so I am not without communication which I was last night.  I changed my login password for webmail and was able to use that.  I wonder if it is something on the iMac?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Has this ever worked on the phone / iPad?

Exactly what error message are you seeing?

Can you receive emails on phone / iPad?

Is this an iPhone?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DawnB13
Hooked

Hi there - I've been sending and receiving emails on my iPhone, iPad and iMac without any problem and then last week I was unable to send any on the iMac.  Within a few hours the same thing happened to my phone and iPad - having reset the passwords on those I can now use webmail only.

The error message I get on all 3 devices is 'rejected by the server'.

I have no problem receiving emails.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Can you PRESENTLY receive email on the iDevices?  If yes, this points solely to a SMTP server configuration problem.  Note that you can configure multiple SMTP servers on iDevices.  Are your SMTP servers configured to use the "base" account (just accountname) or the specific email accounts (accountname+mailboxname)?

Has the OS on any of these devices been updated?

Please confirm that SMTP servers are configured for authentication (check user name & password) and NOT SSL/TLS.

In my experience iPhone & iPad can get totally confused and I have needed to delete the email accounts on the devices and reconfigure them.  I presume that they are IMAP - in which case you can delete the email accounts on the devices in the knowledge that your emails are all safe on the server.  The only pain is it might take a whole to resynch the devices.