cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am receiving many blank emails

BrianEmp

I am receiving many blank emails

I am using Windows 7 - with Windows Live Mail 2012.    My email account is with Madasafish.
In the last few days, every time Live Mail connects up I receive dozens of blank emails with the 'subject', 'to' and 'from' panels blank.  There is no message, and all I see is an unopened envelope symbol.    I can receive up to about 40 of these each time, along with more and more copies of legitimate emails that I have also received recently.
Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening.
8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: I am receiving many blank emails

Hi Brian,
A warm welcome to the forums.
Interesting question - I have seen similar on my iPhone / iPad.  You can see the email headers but there is no content.
Are you configured for POP3 or IMAP operation?
Can you see the whole of the emails if you access the mailbox by Webmail?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BrianEmp

Kevin, thank you so much for taking the trouble.    Of course, now I have to tell you that I have absolutely no idea whether its' POP3 or IMAP .      I don't even understand what that means.
On webmail, I don't see any blank emails  -  but the ones that I have already received in Live Mail are still there on webmail, even after they've been uploaded to me. 
BrianEmp

After hunting around, I've found that it's POP3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Brian,
There is not much more I can do right now.  Suggest that you check to POP3 settings - keep on server - which will explain why they are (usefully) still there to be seen in full by webmail.
It rather looks like the headers have downloaded but not the body parts of the emails.  Check send and receive settings for 'download headers only'.
Will look at this again later.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BrianEmp

Hi Kevin,
Thank you  -  now here's something I really don't understand.  All this business with blank emails has stopped, as suddenly as it started -  and I haven't changed anything!!  To me, that implies that the problem is elsewhere.  Ho hum
Brian
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Yes it does, usually a slow link between you and the servers ... Or did one of those emails have a very large attachment?
Email content and attachments are downloaded 'in the background' and if your internet link is running slow or has issues, downloading large attachments can cause a delay in fully downloading email content.  Keep an eye out for other issues.

BrianEmp

The blank emails are really totally blank.  There would be 30 - 40 of them at a time.  In my inbox there would be an unopened envelope icon for each one to show that a mail was there, but absolutely nothing else.  No 'From',  no 'To', no 'Subject'.  (Nothing in those boxes, I mean) and no message.  Nor was there an indication that there might be an attachment.
But - as I said - ovenight and this morning it seems to have stopped!!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Brian,
For clarity, are those emails which were 'blank' now correctly displaying their contents?  If yes, does one of them have a large attachment?
You need to keep a watch for this issue and then take a view on internet connectivity responsiveness in other things - e.g. web browsing.
Kevin