I am currently unable to send emails to gmail addresses

FIXED
tdliedtke
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

I am currently unable to send emails to gmail addresses

When sending to gmail addresses I get this bounce back

"Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.26 This mail is unauthenticated,"

This occurs when sending from my Outlook client. Using webmail appears to be ok.

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: I am currently unable to send emails to gmail addresses

tdliedtke
Dabbler

I did spot that post, however it doesn't tell me how I can resolve this issue.

jab1
Legend

If you are sending from a 'mail@username.plus.com' address, try 'authenticating' your account.  There should be an option somewhere in Outlooks outgoing server settings to do this, but I can't say exactly how it will be worded.

John
tdliedtke
Dabbler

I am sending from a "@freenetname.co.uk" address and my "Outgoing server" is set to Authenticate.

This issue only arose recently.

jab1
Legend

OK - I'm stumped.

@MisterW ?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

I am sending from a "@freenetname.co.uk" address

@tdliedtke There shouldnt be a problem sending from a freenetname.co.uk address , the freenetname domain has an SPF record, I've just checked.

Are you actually using the freenetname.co.uk address in your Outlook configuration ? and what are you using as the outgoing server ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tdliedtke
Dabbler

The address I am sending from is: thomas@liedtke.co.uk and the account is liedtke@freenetname.co.uk. The outgoing server is: relay.plus.net

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The address I am sending from is: thomas@liedtke.co.uk

@tdliedtke Ah! that's a problem. You're sending from your domain address and that domain does not have an SPF record.

I'm guessing that your domain is hosted by freenetname, in which case I'm afraid its not possible to add an SPF record, the freenetname/madasafish legacy domain control is not capable of it.

The problem has been caused by gmail insisting on SPF or DKIM authentication, neither of which are actually mandaatory standards, for mail sent to (free but not paid!) gmail account.

You native @freenetname.co.uk address will work, but if you wish to use your domain address, you will need to transfer your domain out and get an email hosting package from another supplier who can provide SPF & (preferably) DKIM.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tdliedtke
Dabbler

So I am guessing that this SPF/DKIM authentication requirement is a recent GMail change. Also my understanding is that the Freenetname/Madasafish domains are now hosted by PLUS.

That also explains why I can send from the Plus webmail to gmail without problems.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So I am guessing that this SPF/DKIM authentication requirement is a recent GMail change.

@tdliedtke they've been gradually implementing it across gmail accounts over the last few months.

Also my understanding is that the Freenetname/Madasafish domains are now hosted by PLUS.

Technically, yes, but the domain control panel for Freenetname/Madasafish accounts does not provide the ability to create an SPF record.

That also explains why I can send from the Plus webmail to gmail without problems.

Thats probably because the email address used by webmail when sending , will be your freenetname.co.uk address.

briston
Aspiring Pro

Welcome to the Gmail problem. I have solved mine but amazed at the problem.
My mail goes through Plusnet servers. I have a domain serviced by Ionus, who I have to say are very helpful. I used either Gmail app clients, note not Gmail, or outlook.
Although Ionus updated various configurations as I have a old registered domain, no success. Eventually I had to edit a SPF txt file in my domain config
v=spf1 a mx include:_spf-internal.plus.net include:_spf-internal2.plus.net include:_spf-eu.ionos ~all
Now, years ago, seeing things up were reasonably easy. Who can be expected to know the above? I'm fact I have no idea what it means. But the question is, part of the config specifically includes a reference to Plusnet. It begs the question, does your specific isp have to be included in the SPF txt or is it just Plusnet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

But the question is, part of the config specifically includes a reference to Plusnet. It begs the question, does your specific isp have to be included in the SPF txt or is it just Plusnet.

The SPF record defines which mail servers are authorised to send mail for your domain. So if you send via Plusnet's server relay.plus.net, then that must be included.

The SPF record you have finally used defines all the PN servers and the ionos ones as well

DigbyChicken
Dabbler

I have the same freenetname problem and have found that the simplest workaround is to change the recipient's address from gmail to googlemail (which, for a while, was how gmail addresses were formulated in the UK). It seems that Google still automatically forwards 'googlemail' emails to the 'gmail' equivalent, but haven't implemented SPF authentication for the former. I'm not sure I've tried this on non-UK gmail addresses, but it seems to work so far.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Fix

This is NOT a "freenetname" problem as such, but rather...

1. Gmail are playing bully boys by mandating non-mandatory standards for emails sent to their free @gmail.com users - the same standards ar enot being applied to their paid for or @googlemail.*.* users (free or otherwise)
  2. Sending from the @freenetname.co.uk domain does not encounter the Gmail bully tactics
  3. Sending from @yourdomain.co.uk via Plusnet's various SMTP servers where the domain name is managed elsewhere (to avoid paying for email hosting services) also does not encounter the Gmail bully tactics

The only scenario where there is an issue arises where a user has their own domain name hosted on the legacy email brands for which there is no mechanism to create a SPF record.  At present the resolution options for this specific scenario appear to be...

1. Send to @googlemail.com instead of @gmail.com
  2. Send from @freenetname.co.uk instead of @yourdomainname.co.uk
  3. Move your domain name to an email provider who provides the additional bells and whistles for a charged for email hosting service