Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge security hole in plusnet email

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Huge security hole in plusnet email

@tiredeyes - simple really, if it had happened, given the length of time the service has been running. IF it had happened, I can promise you someone would have complained. Plusnet used to be a 'niche' provider, which meant the users tended to be fairly computer literate, and would have spotted and complained loudly about such a glaring problem - I certainly would!

John
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

OK, so with hindsight it may not have been the best idea to include the account username in the email address but as others have pointed out its not caused a problem so far.

The probability that Plusnet will pick up this particular issue and resolve it, is vanishingly small compared with fixing the underlying performance problems and adding SSL / TSL to the product.

Can we move on now please.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

I am NOT responding anymore @MauriceC - the OP has a bee in their bonnet, but ignores information that fails to fit their agenda.

John
tiredeyes
Grafter

Just what information is this you have provided ? You've provided zero information, ZERO.

The only thing you keep harping on about is that no one has heard anything bad, therefore we can assume it's safe, that is a well known logical fallacy called the argument from ignorance that is why I'm not listening to your argument, it's fatally flawed, you just don't know it, which is why you keep pushing it forward as an answer and why I keep ignoring it.

Yahoo was hacked in 2013 and over 1 BILLION people were potentially affected in the biggest hack in history, they have only just published details about it in 2016.

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

argumentum ad ignorantiam 🙂

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Indeed someone does have a bee in their bonnet - this just has the hall marks of a gripe against the way PlusNet does things.

Most ISPs do the same thing - your user name is part of your email address and worse still your email address is your user name.  The best way of mitigating any concern about a user name being part of an email address is to obtain your own domain name and only publish email addresses using that domain name.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MartyPop
Rising Star

@ejs wrote:

I think Plusnet are more likely to stop providing email, or completely outsource it somehow, rather than make any substantial improvements to the service they offer.

A PlusNet email account is now an option during the sign-up process for new customers.

tiredeyes
Grafter

Most ISPs do the same thing - your user name is part of your email address and worse still your email address is your user name

This is simply NOT TRUE

Can you provide any kind of evidence to back up your claim? Neither BT or SKY require you to use your username as part of your email address

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Two is not most. So OK say many. Similarly many internet net services require your email as the user name. With good passwords this is not the issue claimed. If it seems bothers YOU then as suggested get a domain name or use email provided elsewhere.

tiredeyes
Grafter

Another one with a strawman argument,I never claimed two were the most*

I asked if you had any evidence to back up your claim, have you got anything to support your ridiculous claim ?

*although I believe they jointly hold more than 50% of the ISP market.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note.

I think the thread has run its course and is turning sour, enough.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'