Fixes: 254

Re: Huge security hole in plusnet email

@Browni - notice the total ignoring of the second line of your last reply?Wink

John
tiredeyes
Grafter

Another one who can't read whistling

... create an email address with plusnet but have stopped after I realised I can ONLY create an email address WITH my account username included in the address itself.

jab1
Legend

OK - admit that I missed that in my later replies, but other comments I & others have posted still stand - the sysytem has been in place since the start of Plusnet and no-one (so far as I can ascertain) has encountered the problem you refer to.

John
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Instead of throwing insults at each other, can we not all agree that it would be better if the username was only used for admin purposes. Perhaps a decade ago it did not seem a problem but with online security now having such a high profile perhaps it time for a change. Surely it would not be that difficult to implement?

jab1
Legend

I'm not throwing insults @custos - merely pointing out that in my considered opinion, the 'problem' is not as big as the OP suggests. For it to have any detrimental effect, an 'attacker' would also need the password. Unless that password was SO easy to guess (and it never should be), what is the real risk?

John
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The only person throwing insults is the OP and the grownups amongst us will know what that signifies Smiley
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

So that's a NO then?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Tiredeyes perhaps you should have done more research before you signed up?
You're not bound of course to use the free e mail service provided by PN.
I've never had an issue with PN's service and joined in 2002 Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Of course the major advantage of the Plusnet system is that I can have unlimited email addresses/redirects which is an absolute godsend in that each site I buy from can have a separate email address which can be blackholed if it starts getting loads of spam

tiredeyes
Grafter

Yeah, I choose my ISP based upon their email service lol

If you actually read my OP, you'd see that I DON'T USE plusnets email because I think it's a potential security risk, anyone who ACTUALLY READS this thread will see that, bloody hell man, so many ignorant people.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Insult edited as per Forum rules.

tiredeyes
Grafter

merely pointing out that in my considered opinion, the 'problem' is not as big as the OP suggests. For it to have any detrimental effect, an 'attacker' would also need the password. Unless that password was SO easy to guess (and it never should be), what is the real risk?

So how about you post your bank account username but not the password, lets see if you'll do that, I mean it's not really a risk is it ?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

tiredeyes, hundreds of thousands of other PN e mail users have survived with current configuration for many a year. No one is forcing you to use it, and droning on won't achieve anything.
tiredeyes
Grafter

Can you read, no seriously, can you ?

Why does everyone keep saying I don't have to use it if I don't like it, when I have repeated over and over again,

I DON'T USE IT

jab1
Legend

@tiredeyes wrote:

merely pointing out that in my considered opinion, the 'problem' is not as big as the OP suggests. For it to have any detrimental effect, an 'attacker' would also need the password. Unless that password was SO easy to guess (and it never should be), what is the real risk?

So how about you post your bank account username but not the password, lets see if you'll do that, I mean it's not really a risk is it ?

My bank account doesn't have a username, merely a three-level security lock - and I'm highly unlikely to post that anywhere.

But as Gel points out above , and I have previously, no-one in all the years Plusnet have been going has reported a breach of security just because their email address includes the username - kind of tells you something?

John
tiredeyes
Grafter

But as Gel points out above , and I have previously, no-one in all the years Plusnet have been going has reported a breach of security just because their email address includes the username - kind of tells you something?

How do you know this? I mean actually know, not just guess because you haven't heard about it, I bet Jennifer Lawrence thought that about her icloud account, right up to the time before she got hacked lol