cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge security hole in plusnet email

tiredeyes
Grafter

Huge security hole in plusnet email

I have tried to create an email address with plusnet but have stopped after I realised I can ONLY create an email address WITH my account username included in the address itself.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a huge security risk, if you could guess my password, you're into my plusnet account !!

I still can't quite believe it, this is a huge security hole and needs to be closed asap.

Tags (3)
55 REPLIES 55
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Huge security hole in plusnet email

It's not just email. The account username is also used as a hostname when using the Internet and often identifies you when you visit websites.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@tiredeyes - Although I can see where you're coming from, I think you need to take a step back.

Firstly, what's the chance someone could guess your password - unless you use a really obvious one? Mine is quite simple, but bears no relation to my username. I've been here 7+ years and NEVER had a security breach.

Also bear in mind this has been the default since PN started (I think) and I'm not aware of anyone suffering a problem.

John
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

It's 2017 why are people still opting to use ISP email?
tiredeyes
Grafter

I think you'll find that many forums/message boards will not allow you to use yahoo, gmail, outlook, etc, etc, due to spammers using multiple accounts, fixed email address from your ISP stop this.

tiredeyes
Grafter

I think you're missing the point, you have a double lock on your account - username and also password, now you only have password and it's just not necessary, plusnet should NOT be doing this.

custos
Aspiring Pro

I tend to agree DaveyH, Probably best to avoid ISP specific email accounts. However it's something people should be aware of, particularly as the username is likely to show up on the Internet as well. However, to the best of my knowledge neither has ever caused me any problems. PS: I have never had a problem using my gmail account on forums.

jab1
Legend

@DaveyH - because they can. Wink I see your point - and have yahoo, Gmail,  Icloud and Outlook addresses for if/when I need them,

John
jab1
Legend

@tiredeyes wrote:

I think you're missing the point, you have a double lock on your account - username and also password, now you only have password and it's just not necessary, plusnet should NOT be doing this.

They have been for a long time, and as I've previously said, it hasn't, to my knowledge, caused a problem.

John
maranello
Pro

So how is this different to having a gmail account? A gmail address can be used in lieu of an account name to access many sites or for resetting passwords for online accounts. So anyone who knows your gmail address only needs to know/guess your password to access many of your accounts. This is no different to how your Plusnet email address is set up.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Have you done a reverse IP lookup ??  it also shows your PN name Crazy2

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

only with a fixed IP address where you haven't changed the default setting

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I have had my reverse dns revert to my Username while plusnet were messing about with stuff.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

When creating your account with Plusnet it clearly states that the username will be part of your email address

Usernames must be 5 to 16 characters in length, lowercase, with no spaces or special characters, and must start with two letters. This lets you log into our website and forms part of your Plusnet email address. Once you've chosen your username you can't change it.

If you want something more anonymous have you considered a free email account from Google, Microsoft etc?

tiredeyes
Grafter

I can CHOOSE my gmail username, what do you not understand about that ?