cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up my emails to receive and send from a different provider????

FIXED
Frankieboy
Hooked

How to set up my emails to receive and send from a different provider????

Can someone please help me??!!!

Im not at all technically minded. My daughter set up my iPad originally and I can get and send emails fine from home via my Plusnet broadband but any time I am away using a different broadband like Virgin or Sky nothing sends or receives. I think I need to do something to my settings but not sure where to start! Can someone please help in plain simple language and step by step instructions? I am 78 years old and had a stroke last year so I am a little slower and there are too many subject in the forum I can't find what I need.

Thank you in advance 

9 REPLIES 9
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: How to set up my emails to receive and send from a different provider????

Hi @Frankieboy, welcome to the Community!

Have you tried the general email setup guide? It has a lot of information about the settings needed for your email:

https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

There is also the setup guide Apple devices from our help archive here:

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/email/ios-setup/

Might be worth double checking the settings on your ipad with those listed.

I am not sure why your email would not send/receive when connected to broadband that isn't a Plusnet connection.. maybe another member will know the answer to this though?

I hope the above links help in some way though!

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I am not sure why your email would not send/receive when connected to broadband that isn't a Plusnet connection.. maybe another member will know the answer to this though?

It will need to be set for authenticated smtp, preferably using port 587.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Frankieboy
Hooked

Thank you, I did look at the set up guide and tried the steps but as I already have my mail set up there didn't seem to be an option to make changes and to be honest I get a bit lost trying to follow what it says in the guide. Thought there may be a simple way - screen shots map help me understand as sometimes I'm not sure what I'm looking at! 😕 

Frankieboy
Hooked

This is the bit I can't see how to do - can't see where I would set up to authenticate another server. Get so lost! 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I don't have an ipad so can't give step by step guide but if you read the guide that @jaread83 linked to https://www.plus.net/help/archive/email/ios-setup/ then it's the section on setting the outgoing mail server. You need to set a username & password see the link 'I don't know what these are' in that guide if you're not sure what you need to enter. Don't worry about the port setting...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Frankieboy
Hooked

Thanks Mister T but it didn't help - this took me to setting up a new account but I want to use my mail account already set up, just can't understand how to get that to work when using someone else wifi, it's so frustrating! It must be me doing something wrong .... I just don't see what I should do. Thanks for trying to help

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry I wasn't able to be of more help. You are correct, you need to edit the existing settings , not having an IPad myself makes it a bit tricky but this https://support.jubjub.com/knowledgebase/43/How-to-update-SMTP-Outgoing-Server-settings-on-iPhone-or... looks like it may help

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Fix

Here's a tap by tap guide to adding authentication on an iPad.

Start from the home screen - find and tap the Settings icon. Then

tap Mail (left menu), tap Accounts (top right)
tap the relevant mail account in the list
tap Account which should bring up a white pop-up
note the username shown there and you need to know the password (obscured as blobs)
scroll down if necessary and tap SMTP under Outgoing Mail Server
tap the Primary Server name

On this screen enter the Username and Password you noted earlier
Use SSL will be off (slider to the left)
Authentication needs changing to Password
Server Port 587

Then tap Done, < Account, Done in turn and exit settings

That should resolve your sending problem when away from home. The same settings will work from home, no need to change them. Smiley

The process needs to be repeated if you use several Plusnet email accounts.

David
Frankieboy
Hooked

That's exactly what I was wanting and it worked!! Thank you so much, you have made an old man very happy 🙂