cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to put CAPTCHA onto advanced Webmail login screen? (Or not need it)

grahamt
Rising Star

How to put CAPTCHA onto advanced Webmail login screen? (Or not need it)

It was me being stupid. I created a new mailbox a while back, one that I need to use now and again but not all the time, and I'd forgotten the exact format of the password I'd created. So I tried, and failed, to login (using the standard 'advanced' Webmail)  too many times.
I've now remembered the password format and can access the mailbox using 'basic' Webmail (and there's no problem with IMAP). However, when I now try to login to any of my mailboxes using advanced Webmail the login fails with a message saying "CAPTCHA verification empty!"
I'm pretty sure I know what this means and why Webmail is asking for a captcha entry. I'm willing to go through the captcha process. However, there's no captcha box in the login screen. Given that it's the same for all my mailboxes, I'm assuming that the need for a captcha is tied either to the IP address of my PC or to my Plusnet account (though only in advanced Webmail, not in the basic version). I've tried using different browsers and restarting my PC, to no avail.
How can I either get a captcha box into the login screen or dispense with the need for one?
Graham
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: How to put CAPTCHA onto advanced Webmail login screen? (Or not need it)

I wasn't aware that Roundcube (advanced webmail) had a CAPTCHA facility hidden away. As you say it is probably related to 'too many failed login attempts' but I think you'll need Plusnet support to sort this out.
David
David
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks. I'll leave it a day or two, and if it doesn't go away (which I'm guessing it won't) I'll raise a ticket.
Graham
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: grahamt
I'm pretty sure I know what this means and why Webmail is asking for a captcha entry. I'm willing to go through the captcha process. However, there's no captcha box in the login screen.

You'll get that CAPTCHA after five failed login attempts. What browsers have you tried? Last time I visited this issue the CAPTCHA displayed fine if using Firefox or Opera. If you're using IE then you need to ensure you have the option selected to allow insecure content. It's the CAPTCHA being served over HTTP rather than HTTPS that's causing the issue. Chrome won't like it at all.
We've an internal problem open (ref: 74665) with a view to serving everything over HTTPS.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks, Bob.
I was using Firefox (latest version, 23.0.1, on Windows 7) when the issue emerged. Later, I tried IE (but that was before your comment about insecure content).
Happily, this morning I could log in with no problems, so either the Captcha requirement expired or someone made it go away for me.
Serving everything in the same way sounds like a good idea.
Graham
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: grahamt
Serving everything in the same way sounds like a good idea.

This was done this morning so with any luck the problem should be no more Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

avatastic
Grafter

Until the SSL certificates expire ...  Roll_eyes
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

O ye of little faith  Tongue

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team