cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to forward spam to sender (outgoing message blocked by PlusNet SMTP)

mwerle
Grafter

How to forward spam to sender (outgoing message blocked by PlusNet SMTP)

Hi,
I need to forward a Spam email to someone to alert them about the possibility of their systems having been compromised.
The Spam in question originated from a faked FROM address, however, I know the originators name, and I know that the address list consists of their private address book. So while their account was probably not hacked, their address book certainly got leaked. I don't have an alternative way to contact this person other than EMail.
The recipient is not very computer literate, so I don't want to encode the spam email, just attach it to my email to them. However, the PlusNet SMTP server identifies my outgoing EMail as Spam and rejects it (IMHO, it should only scan the email, not the attachments, but that could provide a loophole for spammers, so I don't know how it could be solved).
Regardless, any suggestions for how I can get this email out? I use my own email server which uses the PlusNet SMTP servers as a relay.
Thanks,
- Micha.
PS. Tried to attach a screenshot of the offending message (172KB), but "Upload Folder is full".. Tongue
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: How to forward spam to sender (outgoing message blocked by PlusNet SMTP)

New topic started for the upload problem: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,145404.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 95

Quote from: mwerle
Regardless, any suggestions for how I can get this email out? I use my own email server which uses the PlusNet SMTP servers as a relay.

We have an exception list for the outbound servers but this isn't really a legitimate case for consideration. The spam filters are doing what they should and stopping you from forwarding junk mail.
TBH, I'm not sure what merit there is in forwarding the message anyway. If the recipient isn't computer literate then it's not really going to help, and they're probably just better off taking your word for it and changing passwords/running anti-virus/malware scans etc. (although the damage has potentially already been done).
If you must forward the email, then you could use your server to smarthost the message directly to the recipient rather than through our relays. Alternatively, you could upload a copy of the email to some webspace somewhere and forward them a link where they can view it (I'd remove it once they've had chance to review it though).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mwerle
Grafter

Good points;  I was mainly thinking for them to be able to request either professional assistance or more computer-literate friends, but on further reflection those assistants should also be able to extract an email from a zip etc (assuming you don't scan outgoing zip files...? )
Alternatively I can pop it up on my owncloud.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

you may need to password protect the zip file