cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete a hosted domain email address?

Lmp

How to delete a hosted domain email address?

I started with a free domain from freenetname. That transferred to madasafish and subsequently to Plusnet. I have about four email addresses on my hosted domain using the original domain.co.uk address. I want to delete one of these old hosted email addresses to cut down on massive amounts of spam but I cannot see any of the hosted email addresses anywhere in my plusnet account info,  in fact I can't see the hosted domain details anywhere in the Plusnet account. I rang Plusnet and they couldn't help as they said my domain is not hosted by them. It must be, it was transferred to them, it works fine. Does anyone know how I can access my domain information and more importantly then delete the defunct mailbox so anyone using it to send mail to me gets bounced? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: How to delete a hosted domain email address?

Sorry to hear this.

I've done a who.is check on your domain and I can confirm that we are hosting it.

I think there had been some confusion regarding this when you called in.

While we've taken over Madasafish, for the most part any domains hosted by Madasafish remain on the Madasafish account which is managed by Plusnet. I've found your old Freenetname account and the domain attached to it.

Unfortunately I can't see an option to make a change to your domain email addresses from this side other than completely deleting the domain component but this would mean we will no longer host it and it'll therefore stop working.

As far as I'm aware you'll be able to manage your domain by logging into your Madasafish account from Here using your old Freenetname e-mail address and account password.

If you need any help finding this information out, please feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to call you back.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Lmp

HI Gandalf thanks for the advice. I've logged into Madasafish and I can get to my account settings, you are right there is no obvious option to remove a mail address out of the ones I use on that domain name. What I did see though was an option I wanted to check back with you on...

I can set up a specific new mail box(es). If I do that I can then disable the default mailbox and use the new specific mailbox. I *think* I would have to create a new outlook account to access the new mailbox -not quite sure how to do that yet as my username and password on my mail relates to my original freenetname account, but presumably I swap that for the new mailbox I just created?

Interestingly I tried to create a new mailbox to see what happens, I did not disable the generic mailbox nor did I change my outlook settings. The result of just creating the mailbox was that I stopped getting all mail so I went back 12 hours later (overnight) and deleted the new mailbox. Since then I have not had any spam even though I'm back on the original mailbox. Coincidence? 

Would welcome your thoughts on using the specific mailbox and disabling the default one, plus whether my assumptions on changing outlook are correct. Many thanks 😉

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Lmp,

Thank you for getting in touch, it sounds like setting up a new mailbox has resolved the spam problem. If you'd like to set up the new mailbox on outlook, you'll need to go through the following process.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team