Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to correctly re-configure an included domain for email

FIXED
snj
Grafter

How to correctly re-configure an included domain for email

Hello,

I have an account with an included domain but which has/had some bespoke MX records because the email was originally being received elsewhere, despammed and forwarded on.

I have been trying to re-configure this so that email comes straight to Plusnet, however I'm having some issues, so can someone tell me what to do please. Since the DNS changes take so long to get actioned (even to Plusnet's nameservers) then it's quite taxing testing all the while my (friend's) email is offline 😞

So far I've changed my MX record to mx.avasin.plus.net. but this produced the response Invalid Recipient. Should I be doing this at all or should I just delete all the MX records and select the POP option (even though they're using IMAP)?

Thanks in advance for getting me out of this pickle...

2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: How to correctly re-configure an included domain for email

Fix

Whilst making that MX record change would direct emails to the Plusnet servers I don't think those servers would be configured to handle them - hence the "invalid recipient" error message.

I suggest deleting the additional MX record and selecting POP3. That covers IMAP as well. If that doesn't work I think it will be necessary to contact support 

David
snj
Grafter

Re: How to correctly re-configure an included domain for email

Hello David,

It seems just clicking the POP button is all I needed to do (doh!), by the time I got home the settings had started to propagate and things are now working, thanks for the advice.

So in summary:

Selecting "Other" and adding in the Plusnet MX record manually doesn't work, and you end up with Invalid Recipient because while the email arrives at Plusnet, there's nothing configured to link the domain to the account. For that you need to specify the POP setting.

The POP setting is also valid for IMAP

Selecting POP automatically adds the correct MX record (as expected)

Selecting POP *ignores* any additional DNS records, even though they are shown in the interface, these DNS records don't get created

Simon