cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access an email account

Dm1

How to access an email account

I am trying to access an email account that has not been used for a few years. I have the email address and username but not sure what password is. Tried to reset password but it then tells me password has been sent to the email address but I can’t get into the email address in the first place. Can anyone help? Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: How to access an email account

@Dm1 If the address has not been accessed for a few years, there is a very good chance it has been deactivated, in which case, you will never recover it. I'm not 100% sure on the Plusnet policy on this matter, so could be wrong, but I know other ISPs 'retire' inactive accounts.

Which ISP was this with - Plusnet, or one of the legacy providers?

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from General Chat to Email.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Dm1 

Are you sure that you set a separate password? I access mine using the account password.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Good point, @Baldrick1 , if it is the default address.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

...which brand email is the much more interesting question before looking at other things.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dm1

Hi All

Thank you for all taking the time to reply to my question, appreciate it. I’m not very tech savvy. All I know is it was a plus.com account. Unlikely to have been used for 5/6 years but could do with accessing it. Really hope there is not a time limit on these accounts staying active. Thanks again.
jab1
Legend

@Dm1 OK, so it was a Plusnet address. Was it your only email? - if so, as @Baldrick1 says above, the password should be your account password, unless you changed it.

John
Dm1

Thanks jab. Have an email account but no longer a plus net customer so don’t have access to what were the account details and password for plus net overall. I only know email address and username.
jab1
Legend

Ah - in that case, unless you set up an e-mail only account when you left  PN - very unlikely - it will have been destroyed when you closed the account. Sorry.

John
Dm1

No worries. Thanks for your help.