cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to set up email account after signup

hymermanbill
Grafter

How long to set up email account after signup

I signed up for Plusnet extra fibre yesterday morning and created a new email account for them to contact me on. I can not login to this email account to see whatever mail they have sent to me. I have tried webmail, windows live mail and the setup assist wizard to do the job all to no avail. Does anyone know how long it takes to set up an email account. I assumed yesterday that it would be done overnight, but it appears not.
9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: How long to set up email account after signup

I suggest checking that a mailbox *has* been set up by going to Manage My Mail at http://email.plus.net. If one hasn't I think that will prompt you to set one up.
If a mailbox already exists try sending a message to it from another address. I think this is sometimes needed to prompt the system to create the storage.
David
hymermanbill
Grafter

That seemed a good idea, I know the email address has been made it is there in the manage mail settings, I have sent an email to the address and so far it has not bounced back so it seems to be set up but I still cannot  get into it. I am right in saying that for webmail I sign in with the username I created and the password I added, I can not see any alternative interpretations of the information.
hymermanbill
Grafter

Update that, the mail bounced back, I will try again later. Thanks for the idea it helps a lot.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

The ID you use for mailboxes is in this format: username+mailbox
That's RPM to you!!
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hey Guys,
When an email address is originally set up, it can take up to 24 hours for the email address to come into action as all of the DNS records have to propagate around.
The email address might be generated in the system within this time, however if "the internet" doesn't know where to find that email address, this is when you get the bounce backs.
What you can do is visit http://mxtoolbox.com/
in the domain name type in usernamehere.plus.com and then press MX Lookup
Replace usernamehere with your Plusnet username which you log into the Member Centre with.
What you're looking for is something like this:
Pref 	Hostname 	IP Address 	TTL 	
10 mx.avasin.plus.net 212.159.8.200 5 min Blacklist Check      SMTP Test
dns lookup smtp diag blacklist port scan
Reported by ns2.force9.net on Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 8:10:43 AM (UTC -5)  Transcript

If this doesn't show the mx.avasin.plus.net - Then the email address isn't quite ready for use, once this is showing then you shouldn't receive the bounce backs anymore.
I hope this helps,
Regards,
Matt
hymermanbill
Grafter

Thanks Matt when I put my user name in I get a no results found response. However, I signed up yesterday morning which is more than the 24 hours that you suggested. looking at the ask our support team site where there are some automatic responses that relate to the emails that have been sent to me by plusnet it says     
Service Notification
11:36am, Saturday 29 Sep 2012
The customer was mailed the following message to address(es)  ( bill@myusername.plus.com )
So it would seem that the email address was set up internally at least by 11.36AM yesterday. I presume I will have to give it another 24 hours.
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Hello Bill,
Thank you for the update - I have found the ticket on your account and am in the middle of constructing a response for you.
Regards,
Matt
hymermanbill
Grafter

Thankyou for your response, I will wait 24 hours to make ure it is now sorted and then close the ticket
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Hey Bill,
No problem at all! - I'll check back tomorrow to see how things are progressing Smiley
Enjoy the rest of your evening,
Matt