Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to send email: total size 5MB?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

How long to send email: total size 5MB?

On a 8000 down/ 888 up connection how long would it take sending a 5MB message of which all most all is an attachment?
I'm curious, because I had to forward one today and it took quite some time. Can someone detail the calculations, please?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
4 REPLIES 4
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: How long to send email: total size 5MB?

If the email size is 5MB then it will take approx 5000*8/888 seconds to transmit, assuming perfect conditions or around 45 seconds. In reality it will be longer than this as you won't be using the full 888kbps uplink.
If the attachment is 5MB it will take longer as the encapsulation to convert the file to pass through 7 bit email systems will increase the file size.
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: pwatson
If the email size is 5MB then it will take approx 5000*8/888 seconds to transmit, assuming perfect conditions or around 45 seconds. In reality it will be longer than this as you won't be using the full 888kbps uplink.
If the attachment is 5MB it will take longer as the encapsulation to convert the file to pass through 7 bit email dystems will increase the file size.
I'm guessing that the original is in something more than 7 bit? Would that vary according to file type?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I believe the encoding adds around a 33% overhead so your 5MB file would be around 6.6MB and would take about 60 seconds, again assuming perfect conditions.
How long did the email take to send when you tried?
Luzern
Hero

About 2 mins to send and the same again to copy to sent folder, but with 4 MB attachment. I hadn't noticed fat finger syndrome in thread title. Roll_eyes