Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop duplicate emails from Plusnet

fockewulf
Grafter

How do I stop duplicate emails from Plusnet

Hi,
Just moved to Plusnet and am getting every message from them in duplicate, is there any way to cut it down to one of each message?
I found something in an internet search that said to set-up a 'postmaster' mailbox but it hasn't helped, unless I haven't done it properly.
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: How do I stop duplicate emails from Plusnet

Hi there,
I've had a quick look at your account and can suggest a change to your mailbox settings with us which should fix this.
I'd delete the mail alias you've already got set up and create a new mailbox right <a href="https://portal.plus.net/my.html?P%2BVHYN6YBvn5XnJBpBx5LxGvNgoXUgKqC3f0fFmIgOsmrrsujjYNOoAbUr2%2FgAxC&redirected=yes">here</a>
Following that you'll just need to make a quick change to how the username is configured by following this format username+mailbox name (don't bother including the .plus.com bit in the username).
That should resolve that for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fockewulf
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply.
If I click on the link you gave I get "Unfortunately, this feature is not available with your current account." and other stuff.
Can I do it through 'member centre' - 'manage mail', and I'm not really following the bit about username config, is that on the new mailbox and should it be entered exactly as "username+mailbox" or usernamemailbox, username@mailbox ?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Adam,
Just what was that link?  It fails for me too and my account is quite old!

@Fockewulf,
Try this - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?zYc5AJRX0KbfbnbZc6p4ORGvNgoXUgKqC3f0fFmIgOsmrrsujjYNOpU3WeE3zzzA0Nur... - instead.
Adam's description is clear if you know what you are doing.  Huh
If you create a new email box called fred@username.plus.com when you configure your email program to access it, the username you need to specify is username+fred with the same password you used when you created fred.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fockewulf
Grafter

Townman, I'm afraid I am still getting the same page with "Unfortunately, this feature is not available with your current account." etc., from the link you gave.
I use Thunderbird for email and it doesn't seem to like me adding '+mailbox name' to the username, the mailbox name has an '@' symbol on the end - should I add that as well.
I did notice that after I deleted the postmaster alias from my account I only received one confirmation email and I have only had one email notification of topic reply.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Maybe a simpler fix is to look here - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=edit_details&s=0 - and ensure that your contact address is postmaster@accountname.plus.net
Not sure how you have deleted the postmaster address - AFAIK it MUST exist as either a mailbox or an alias on the default mail box.
PlusNet send all communications to (if they are different) both the contact email address and postmaster@

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fockewulf
Grafter

Thanks, have put the alias back so will see how it goes, there was a dustbin symbol next to the postmaster alias and I just clicked on that to delete it. I wasn't getting anything incoming with putting  'username+mailbox name' in thunderbirds server settings.