cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I insert a hypertext link (to a youtube video) in my plusnet emails?

Scooterman999
Rising Star

How do I insert a hypertext link (to a youtube video) in my plusnet emails?

I want to share a link to a youtube video with some friends but copying and pasting just reproduces the URL in normal type rather than the hoped-for blue.
Have tried lots of drop-down menus and right-clicking, but to no avail.
Help please!
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: How do I insert a hypertext link (to a youtube video) in my plusnet emails?

Are you creating the message in plain text format? In that case the procedure is to type the required link URL using normal text, ensuring it starts http:// ... . When the recipient's email client receives the message it will normally spot the hyperlink text and make it clickable on the display.
If http:// is omitted from the message text it might still be detected as a link, but detection is less reliable.
For HTML format emails links are (generally) entered in the same way and the formatter adds link tags when it processes it.
David
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Another thing, email programs like Outlook don't turn them into hyperlinks until they are saved/sent. You could try saving to draft and re-opening to see if it changes to a clickable link.
Jeff
Scooterman999
Rising Star

Thanks Spraxyt and Minkey (sorry didn't see your replies until just now).
I have tried both plain text and HTML but the link remains stubbornly black and white.  Also saved to drafts and re-opened, with the same result.
So I guess I will have to warn recipients that if they haven't received the link in blue then they will need to copy and paste it into their browser.
Am really rather irritated by this apparent lack of functionality in PlusNet.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Try sending yourself a test message and seeing if you get a working link in the received message.  The ability to send links is not a 'Plusnet limitation'...
Are you using webmail or an email client? 
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

In Plusnet Webmail, there's a little button for insert/edit link, the button is only active after highlighting some text but does allow inserting a hyperlink (either with the same text as the link or different text), the button is the one below the 'Bold' in the attached screenshot
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Scooterman999
Rising Star

Thanks P Watson and, in particular W23.
I'm using PlusNet webmail and I certainly didn't need to resort to a forum to find out how to do something so simple when I was with Talktalk which automatically recognised something beginning with http..
HOWEVER, although I'm grateful to W23 for explaining about the `Insert/Edit' function (which I'd previously overlooked) I can say that I just typed the email to my friends with the Youtube URL and I explained that they'd need to copy and paste, when I just had one last try at making it into a hyperlink and when I put the cursor in front of the `http' it all magically changed colour and underlined itself.  So I had to delete the sentence about needing to copy and paste!
So....thanks for your suggestions and advice.  I'll see what happens on the next one.
Scooterman999
Rising Star

Again,  more thanks to W23.  I've since followed your procedure for using the `Insert/Edit' button after highlighting some text and as you said a little box opens that enable you to make the link into hypertext.
Couldn't previously find this in PS `Help' sections, so thanks again.