Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How best to route my emails

FIXED
batesy
Hooked

How best to route my emails

I'm just returning to Plusnet after 18 months away and I would appreciate any suggestions on how best to route my email.

I have my own domain on a 3rd party domain host and currently they forward all my emails to a gmail.com account and I use outlook to download them.  Recently the domain host has added email servers to the domain/web host package so I'm wondering what will be the best approach to handle my email.

Do I continue to forward my emails from the domain host to Plusnet instead of gmail or do I activate the domain host email service and either use that as my email server or forward the mail to PN or do I modify the MX record and point all my mail to PN or is there a better alternative.  I use outlook email client to harvest my mail using imap on my mobile, desktop and laptop but I don't want to continue using gmail as I've used outlook ever since it came out so feel more comfortable with it.  Also I find I lose more mail to spam with gmail.  MTIA

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: How best to route my emails

Fix

I'm just returning to Plusnet after 18 months away and I would appreciate any suggestions on how best to route my email.

I have my own domain on a 3rd party domain host and currently they forward all my emails to a gmail.com account and I use outlook to download them.

I assume from that you don't currently have a PlusNet email only account.

PlusNet discontinued the email facility for new accounts a little while ago I'm afraid

o I modify the MX record and point all my mail to PN

That's not an option, PN will only accept mail if the domain is hosted by them and that's no longer an option.

If you wish to move away from gmail then your only option is to use your domain hosting email service or another third party email service

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

batesy
Hooked

Well that's a surprise MisterW!  Very many thanks for your reply, I'm due to switch over later this week so wasn't expecting this, I guess it makes the decision very much easier.  I was previously with PN for about 15 years and only left because they didn't have a full fibre solution at the time but as Openreach has missed my street off the list and my monthly payments have rocketed I decided to return.  I was thinking of cancelling my 3rd party domain hosting so pleased now that I didn't.

Thanks for your help.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

TBH it's always better to keep your email separate from an ISP , gives you much more flexibility to move.

If you need to look at alternatives to your current hosting provider,  j use http://www.ecohosting.co.uk/email.html and 

https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting for email. Both have similar facilities to Plusnet e.g multiple mailboxes and forwarders(aliases) and are reasonably priced

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@batesy 

It saves you any potential future problems if the rumours are true and PlusNet withdraw their e-mail servers.

Likewise does your phone number matter? If FTTP ever does come your way then it goes if you take a service from PN.

Brian

ROBBOEDIN

That’s really helpful, thanks
batesy
Hooked

Many thanks for your comments, most useful thank you