Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotmail Rejecting PlusNet Emails

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Hotmail Rejecting PlusNet Emails

Just a point, Gmail does dump email if it's detect it sent it to itself and there is a copty in sent items.  I stumbled over this before: https://uisapp2.iu.edu/confluence-prd/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=176620087

Double check you aren't falling foul of something like that?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
siw1973

Chris,

You stated that everything should be fine if we go through Plus.net's Relays, but personally I don't want to and as it was working before there seems to have been a change of "Policy" by Plus.net that has "broken" something.

I have just updated my Static IP I pay for from the PBL at Spamhaus and it has resolved an issue of one recipient whose mail hosting was using Atomwide MailProtect, however after an hour I still have the issue with Hotmail specifically. Gmail works and has continued to work.

Can you advise what actual "fix" is in progress from Plus.net's side ?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

My understanding is that the vast majority of our IP blocks have always been on the Spamhaus PBL lists. A small number are flagged as exceptions, and in recent cases these exceptions have been marked active again. This isn't in response to anything we've explicitly done, it's Spamhaus policy to do this if suspect activity etc. is detected.
At present, we're not doing anything as far as the PBL lists are concerned. Where our relays get blacklisted, we'll look to resolve that.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

siw1973

Thanks for the response, looks like it took more time for the Hotmail servers to update. It did end up marked as junk though which is worrying as I have SPF and DKIM setup on my mail server.

Hotmail's response was confusing as it states that the IP address was marked as Dynamic rather than a Spamhaus failure. Is there any reason for this?

Also you are saying that Spamhaus on their own decided to PBL every Plusnet IP without any consultation with you?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

No, by nature our IPs will be on the PBL list. By and large, they're assigned to residential broadband customers so are typically considered dynamic and not ranges you'd expect an authoritative mail server being assigned.
From a /16 (~65,000 IP's), there were a couple of thousand exceptions, and in a lot of examples I've seen, it was these that had fallen foul of recent changes. These changes to my knowledge, weren't initiated by us.
TL:DR: if you have issues with the PBL list, try a delisting request. If that doesn't work, let us know.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

GraemeRoss
Dabbler

Just a point, Gmail does dump email if it's detect it sent it to itself and there is a copty in sent items.  I stumbled over this before: https://uisapp2.iu.edu/confluence-prd/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=176620087

Double check you aren't falling foul of something like that?

This sounds very like what is happening.

Just like the thing, that my test process exhibits a failure mode :<  - don't I feel foolish

If this is what is happening I think I am ok now (I will just have to modify my test procedure)