Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotmail Rejecting PlusNet Emails

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Hotmail Rejecting PlusNet Emails

This morning received a number of bounced emails from Hotmail with the following message:

A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server 65.55.92.136 responded with: **********@hotmail.com 550: DY-001 (SNT004-MC1F21) Unfortunately, messages from 84.93.230.227 weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider. You can tell them that Hotmail does not relay dynamically-assigned IP ranges. You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server avasout01.

I can send emails from both my Gmail and Hotmail accounts so it's not MY "dynamically-assigned IP range" that's giving the problem so I suppose it's PN's email system somehow. Can someone please fix it?

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
35 REPLIES 35
MikeBz
Rising Star

Re: Hotmail Rejecting PlusNet Emails

I have the same problem.  Fix urgently required please PlusNet!

johntoby
Hooked

The problem is not just Hotmail.  I have had rejections from talktalk.net, mail.live.com, and several other ISs apparently using spamhaus.org.  It seems that I am not able to correspond with a number of people including send replies to ,messages from regular correspondents.

Getting difficult!

dart-digital

We have seen it here as well. The Spamhaus PBL was listing 84.92.0.0/16. The PBL is normally a list of dynamic IP addresses that generally wouldn't have email servers. Our static IP is within the range caught and as a result some outgoing email was being marked undeliverable (depending on where it was going and what blacklist checking they do). We have manually removed our server from the list but there is always a chance it could be re-listed if PlusNet do not get their static IP ranges removed from the PBL.

andywright
Dabbler

This has caused me a ton of problems this morning... started getting phone calls from customers saying they couldn't send email. One of my own servers was affected also. All on Plusnet Static IPs on business accounts and have been running mail servers for years. Suddenly it looks like Plusnet have dumped their IP range into Spamhaus without warning;

80.229.0.0/16 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

Outbound Email Policy of Plusnet Plc for this IP range:

It is the policy of Plusnet Plc that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to Plusnet Plc customers. To find the hostname of the correct mail server to use, customers should consult the original signup documentation or contact Plusnet Plc Technical Support.

MikeBz
Rising Star

In my case I get "** The remote server aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd responded with: **xxxxxxx@hotmail.co.uk 550: DY-001 (BAY004-MC5F7) Unfortunately, messages from 84.93.230.244 weren't sent"

aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd varies according to whether the recipient is @hotmail.com, or @hotmail.co.uk, or @live.com etc. but the 84.93.230.244 is constant - what is that address, it's not a dynamically allocated address at my end nor is it my broadband network IP address?

PS I don't have a business account, nor do I have static IP address.

highkirk

Hi - I'm having the exact same problem - eMail to Hotmail, Outlook, anyone using 1&1 as their host - all being rejected because my static IP address is now regarded as dynamic! What's going on PlusNet!

andywright
Dabbler

@MikeBz wrote:

@aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd varies according to whether the recipient is @hotmail.com, or @hotmail.co.uk, or @live.com etc. but the 84.93.230.244 is constant - what is that address, it's not a dynamically allocated address at my end nor is it my broadband network IP address?

84.93.230.244 is avasout03.plus.net - one of PlusNet's own SMTP mail relays; your email most likely gets sent through this.

That address isn't listed in SpamHaus PBL so someone may have recently removed it. It can take a while until servers around the world pick up the change though.

highkirk

Having a similar problem - a few domains are getting through OK, but most are not. We have been using the same static IP address from PlusNet for many years with no issue - is this a change in policy from them? We have an on-premises Exchange server - if we can't use our static IP address for such a normal business activity as sending mail, there's very little point in having it! We've always been prepared to pay a little more for PlusNet service than for some of the other alternative suppliers, because we (used to?) get better service. Having your mail server suddenly stop for no reason is not good service - maybe we should just be going by price from now on!!

The mystery deepens - when I registered for the forum, my verification eMail didn't arrive - not in my spam folder (I checked the obvious!). I had registered using a private eMail address on my own domain. When I edited my contact details and used an old Force9 address, the notification came through immediately. Does this mean that only PlusNet/Force9 eMail addresses can join the forum, or are PlusNet's own mail servers being blocked by this mail issue???

andywright
Dabbler

The problem is that PlusNet's IP addresses have all (as far as I can tell) appeared in the SpamHaus PBL database - that's a reputation database many email recipients use to determine if the sender's server could be a known spam relay.

You can check if your IP is listed here - https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ and manually remove it if it's listed. I've had to do a load today to get customers' emails working.

highkirk

@andywright - just had a look at that - does registering your own PlusNet assigned static IP address fix the problem? Any idea why a block of addresses which used to be fine are now suddenly being regarded as dynamic?

andywright
Dabbler

@highkirk if that's the address your email server is sending from then yes.

It's not that they're listed as dynamic as such, just that "Plusnet's Policy" is that the listed IP's shouldn't be sending email direct without going through their smtp relays. Unfortunately someone has included Static addresses that have been in use for years on mail servers.

I won't relay through PlusNet for 2 reasons; 1) It's an extra point of failure, and 2) I record the smtp reply from the recipient's server in a database in case we ever need proof the email was delivered - relaying would only tell us it got as far as PlusNet's server.

GraemeRoss
Dabbler

gmail also seems to be looking at this list as it is now blocking email from my server.

As I am only ever forwarding on to gmail I decided to try the relay.plus.net setup. The relay says it is accepting mail for delivery but it never gets through to gmail - is the relay on the same list black list?

Also even though I have removed my ip address from the spamhaus list gmail servers do not seem to have picked this up and they are still blocking me. Anyone any idea how long it should take to propagate through to gmail?

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Seems OK this morning. Smiley

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks quelqod, there shouldn't be issues sending via relay.plus.net at the moment.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.