cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosted only domain name for email

JasonMassey
Grafter

Hosted only domain name for email

I'm a plusnet fiber broadband customer since 2013, and trying to get confirmation on the process of setting up a hosted only domain name for email.

What I wish todo is repoint the name space records of a domain name thats maintained outside of Plusnet for the purposes of using that domain name on plusnet's own mail servers.  Just to clarify I don't wish to move the domain name into Plusnet, but just set the domains NS records to plusnets servers.

I've spoken to plusnet support twice over the phone, and each time plusnet support confirms this is posible.  Bacause i'm an exisiting customer from 2013 they will set this up, they have also left detailed notes on my account.

Plusnet support have given me the procedure over the phone, however because they are not entirly use to this, i'm posting here so some in technical can give more specfic details of whats required.

The following is what i've been instructed todo.

1)  Move the NS records on my domain to N1.force9.net, and N2.force9.net.

2)  Once the above is done phone Plusnet support and they will make configutations on the Plusnet side.  They also say this is best done over the phone with myself.

One thing Plusnet support was not sure about, is if my domain name is used with my existing plusnet email, or if plusnet supply a totally new email account.   I'm happy if it's the former, but trying to confirm this first.  

My hope is someone in technical with more detailed knowlege then regular plusnet support sees this message, and can re-advise on the above.

Kind regards

Jason

13 REPLIES 13
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Hosted only domain name for email

One thing Plusnet support was not sure about, is if my domain name is used with my existing plusnet email, or if plusnet supply a totally new email account. 

@JasonMassey I can answer that one, the hosted domain is used with your existing email i.e the email addresses <mailboxname>@<domain> will map to the same mailbox as <mailboxname>@<username>.plus.com

As to the mechanism for getting it done, I suspect that it might be best to wait for one of the more experienced Plusnet staff on here to advise. As you say, its a legacy facility, and not something most of the normal CSC staff are familiar with

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JasonMassey
Grafter

MinsterW,

Thanks for your quick reply, and confirming my domain would map to my existing plusnet mail box.

I'm guessing I then access the mail box with the same credentials as I do now, so I can connect my android phone, and microsoft outlook windows application to the mail box.

Re the mechanism for getting it done, plusnet support were not totally sure either, so as you say i'm hoping someone with more experience can confirm the process.

Kind regards

Jason

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@JasonMassey wrote:

I'm guessing I then access the mail box with the same credentials as I do now, so I can connect my android phone, and microsoft outlook windows application to the mail box.

Kind regards

Jason

@JasonMassey  You do. Do you realise that you can create as many mailboxes as you like using the Manage my Mail tool in the Member centre portal, they will be of the form <anynameyoulike>@<username.plus.com> ( and of course the same for the domain ). So if you did actually want different addresses to use with the domain you could achieve it with multiple mailboxes. When configuring the mail client you will need to specify what mail identity is used for outgoing mail e.g @username.plus.com or @domainname.

Hope that makes sense

PS if one of the PN help team doesn't pick this up today, I'll try and give someone a nudge later

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JasonMassey
Grafter

Hi MisterW,

I was not aware I could configuer multiple mailbox's, this would not of mattered, however since it's an option will use this.

When configuring mail clients, I do understand I would need to specify @Username.plus.com or @domainname.

Yes would be grateful if you could give some one a nudge.  The domain name is used for my primary email address, so before I change the NS records, i'm trying to be as sure as I can about the process.

Many thanks

Jason

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@JasonMassey wrote:

Hi MisterW,

I was not aware I could configuer multiple mailbox's, this would not of mattered, however since it's an option will use this.

When configuring mail clients, I do understand I would need to specify @Username.plus.com or @domainname.

Yes would be grateful if you could give some one a nudge.  The domain name is used for my primary email address, so before I change the NS records, i'm trying to be as sure as I can about the process.

Many thanks

Jason

I'm not sure of the exact process but if you are currently using the domain as primary email, beware there is likely to be some downtime. I suspect you will need to change the nameservers before the domain hosting can be done, and then the hosting will probably need to be requested and set up via the NetOps team. Not sure how much of the process is manual since its a legacy facility.

JasonMassey
Grafter

MisterW,

I'm aware there will be some downtime due to the NS change having to propagate.

I'm also aware i'll have to change NS records before plusnet can proceed your side, however i'm wanting for a green light from someone thats familiar with the procedure first.   Did you ever find anyone in the NetOps team to look at this.

Kind regards

Jason

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I dont have any access to the Netops team I'm afraid. It will need one of the PN staff who monitor this forum to pick this up. Looks like they're a bit busy today...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Cheers for your time on the phone @JasonMassey 

As discussed we've added your domain into our database and once you've changed the nameservers to ns1.force9.net & ns2.force9.net after 4 hours for the DNS to propagate we'll be hosting this for you.

If you've got any issues, feel free to reply to this ticket or post back. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JasonMassey
Grafter

Hi Gandalf, thanks for you call today and setup over the phone.

I've just sent an email to the company that controlls my domain, requesting the nameservers change to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net.  I've not had a response yet but sure they will do this very soon.

I'll keep checking to see if email from my domain arrives at the plusnet mail server.   Any issues, or once email from my domain arrives at plusnet servers, I will update this thread.

Kind regards

Jason

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Jason, no problem when I picked up your thread I thought it'd be a lot easier to call you in the first instance. Smiley

Let me know how it goes. Cheers -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@JasonMassey  I see you got the Chief Wizard on the case🙂

Glad to see you appear to have been sorted.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Some of the credit goes to @adamwalker as he flicked the switch on the domain hosting. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

"When configuring mail clients, I do understand I would need to specify @Username.plus.com or @domainname."

I do not think that we answered that question.

When configuring an email client, you are asked to supply an email address - to some extent that is documentary and is what people receiving emails and replying to emails will see.  You could equally use...

• john@mydomain.co.uk
  • john@myaccount.plus.net

Irrespective, the detailed configuration is the same - IMAP / SMTP server names and logon credentials.  One point to note is that the server user names are NOT the email addresses (as defaulted by some email clients) but rather the account-name (or account-name+mailbox-name if a secondary mail box).