cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host Name for email settings

George39
Hooked

Host Name for email settings

Hello out there - my first time on a forum so hope you can help me out as I am going bonkers Smiley

I reset my hard drive on Mac Pro - forgot to do the basic thing and take detail of my email settings, Yep!

I am not a plus net user; however, I have been using the webmail for some time now (before that Madasafish and before that icscotland) so here I am trying to put settings back for receipt of emails from plus net.  I have created a new account (finally - 'high sierra' making it a tadge difficult but got there in the end).  I am at the point of setting up incoming mail server (IMAP), info I have used is my account Name (original email address) Password (original password) but when it comes to host name at a loss! have trieds webmail.plus.net and madasafish.com plus various make up of adding these to user name. I am getting the verification prompt but then the server doesn't recognise account and password.

Any Ideas?

George

8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Host Name for email settings

mail.icscotland.net?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

George39
Hooked

Morning Bobpullen.

Thanks for quick reply. Still not playing but thanks for the idea.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Is it an icscotland address you're trying to access?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

George39
Hooked

Afternoon.

This might be a bit long winded, but a bit of history Smiley

Well in a way.  I started off a few years ago using www.icscotland.net (dial up! thats how long I have been using that ISP). When Madasafish took that over I just used it for getting emails to relevant Mac account as my email address has now been out there for a while and didn't want to change it.  A slight change to madasafish was no problem and nor was it a problem when Plus Net took over.  Settings appeared still to say madasafish but had to log onto webmail Plus Net once and a while to delete the old messages etc - no probs.

So, when I re set my hard drive (I normally take or note down settings - not all this time though! Arrrrggh!) I have been trying to set up my 'in box' again though plus net.  So, I don't really know the host is now.  The new apple mail looks for verification when adding a new email account - you cannot create in High Siera it searches for the account.  Eventually I managed to do that but now I am in settings etc and try as I may I cannot crack the signing in.

In relation to your question, I think I am trying to log into Madasafish but using webmail plus net as a proxy - it appears that way. I have tried using my account/ user name + webmail.plus.net, original password and then webmail addresses for all three providers (various ways of making up user name).  Some take a while to verify, some to quick but all the same result.  Cannot verify account and password.

George

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks George. I'm interested in the actual email address you're trying to access. Does it end '@icscotland.net', or something else?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

George39
Hooked

Hi.

Email ending icscotland.net

Cheers

George
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

For incoming hostname it's definitely mail.icscotland.net then, using port 143/IMAP *without* TLS/SSL/Security enabled:

~ $ telnet mail.icscotland.net 143
Trying 212.159.9.237...
Connected to mail.icscotland.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2011 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.

For outbound hostname, you want smtp.icscotland.net, using port 25 (or 587), again with TLS/SSL/Security *disabled*:

~ $ telnet smtp.icscotland.net 25
Trying 212.159.9.237...
Connected to smtp.icscotland.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 avasoutv06 smtp smtp-proxy.plus.net

Username for both should be your full email address and password that you use to log into the Plusnet Webmail platform.

If you're still having no joy, then feel free to private message me your full email address and I'll make sure the account looks OK at this side.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

George39
Hooked

Thanks. I will give it a go tonight 😁