cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help setting up pop3 email account in Outlook 2016

clk
Hooked

Help setting up pop3 email account in Outlook 2016

I have been trying to set up a PlusNet pop3 email account in Outlook 2016 and whatever I do, including using the settings given by PlusNet, nothing seems to work.  I can setup IMAP on the secondary mailboxes but not the primary email.  Tech support can't or won't help.  Anyone have any ideas. 

28 REPLIES 28
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Help setting up pop3 email account in Outlook 2016

Are you using the correct ports? Plusnet use the unencrypted ports, 587 or 25 for outgoing and 110 for incoming emails. I would expect Outlook 2016 (I'm guessing here as I'm still on the 2010 version) to default to encrypted ones.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

clk
Hooked

Yes I am using the correct ports, tech support says its my email client but I don't think so.  There must be settings somewhere I can't get to.  Nothing I try works.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I'm sorry if I'm asking the bleedin' obvious, but you are entering your user name and password exactly as you do to log into your Plusnet account? It might just be worth logging into the Plusnet Member Centre to confirm.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @clk,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues setting up your mailbox in the Outlook client. If you haven't already, please check out our guide to setting up your Plusnet email, which can be found here.

If this doesn't help to resolve this issue, we'll need to narrow down where the problem may lie and the first question I'd ask to that affect is, does the same issue occur with your primary mailbox through the webmail portal?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Am I missing the point or are you trying to set up IMAP as pop3 or the other way round as they are both different setup procedures in Outlook 2016

clk
Hooked

I have been over your guide again and again does not help, its not explicit enough.   Yes I can access my email through the webmail portal but I do not want to use that to check my email, its probably about the worst email viewer I have ever used.

clk
Hooked

I tried IMAP which does work and then deleted those accounts.  I want to use pop3. The Outlook 2016 wizard is part of the problem it is very limited in the options it gives you for email settings.  I eventually managed to setup the accounts but it wasn't downloading all emails only PlusNet emails though those emails were visible through webmail.  It is quite frankly bizarre.

mort7890
Pro

Do not use the wizard, it is a lot better to set it up manually. When you say all emails do you have another email account that you want to d/load and if so you create a new account in 2016 using the new account details.

clk
Hooked

I do not know how or where to set up an email account without the wizard.  I have other email accounts gmail, BT etc it is only PlusNet I have a problem with.

mort7890
Pro

When you set up email account you get option to set up manually, pop3 or Imap your choice, you are then asked for the details of your account (username/email address/password) then depending on the account (mail.force9.net) or (mail.plus.net) then (relay.forc9.net) or (relay.plus.net).

The username is the name you use for your account and I do not think I need to explain your email and address, you know your password.

Plusnet do give step by step instructions on the portal on setting up email accounts.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@mort7890 wrote:

... then depending on the account (mail.force9.net) or (mail.plus.net) then (relay.force9.net) or (relay.plus.net).

Minor correction to add a missing e in case anyone uses copy and paste without thinking. Angel 

David
Surfer
Grafter

Totally useless instructions for setting up Outlook 2007.  I have set up everything correctly and it rejects my Login.  If I try and set up the email account it asks for the email address and I input b***********@plusdsl.net but it does not recognise this address??? 

Getting very fed up as it seems I am not the only one that has had issues setting up Outlook when moving across to the Plusnet!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Surfer  - your email address should be in the form 'b***********@yourusername.plus.com - the 'plusdsl,net' extension is merely for setting up your router.

HTH

John
Surfer
Grafter

Tried that and again it bombs me out as does not recognise the email address.  BTW nowhere is it mentioned on any web pages about the .net being changed to .com