cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed to set up Plusnet email on Galaxy Tab 2

Wombat77
Dabbler

Help needed to set up Plusnet email on Galaxy Tab 2

Help!Am a new plusnet customer trying to set up plusnet email on my galaxy tab 2 (kitkat)using default android app. Have had no luck.keep getting message "unable to connect to server-no response from server". Thought I was reasonably computer savvy, but this beats me. Set up a Hotmail account in minutes using the default app, why is plusnet so difficult. I have followed the tutorial using various permutations without success.  Any help appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Can not connect to email server

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator Note by Dick (Strat)

Post and reply moved to their own topic for clarity and title changed to reflect issue.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  The first question is have you got the msil option enabled?  I'm not certain that email is automatically enabled these days - I should check with @bobpullen

You can try logging in to email here - webmail.plus.net using your account name and account password.  If that works the try to set up th android again.

Inbound server: imap.plus.net

Outbound server: relay.plus.net - port 587

Account: username

Password: username-password

DO NOT USE SSL/TLS

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm not certain that email is automatically enabled these days

It's not automatically created on accounts and hasn't been for several years. If someone wants an email address the option is given and they can create them afterwards too at email.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Help needed to set up Plusnet email on Galaxy Tab 2

Hi there,

It doesn't look like you have a mailbox added to your account.
You can add one here: https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=add_mailbox

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Chris / @Gandalf,

There had been a number of posts similar to this - users trying to connect to non-existent mailboxes. Is there something in the new user communications which might lead them to believe there is a default email address set up from the get-go?

On the user portal connection detail screen, will that show email connectivity details if no email box has been configured?

Can that screen have a comment added to indicate that mailboxes need to be established before trying to connect to them please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Townman wrote:
There had been a number of posts similar to this - users trying to connect to non-existent mailboxes. Is there something in the new user communications which might lead them to believe there is a default email address set up from the get-go?

As far as I can see, there's absolutely no indication on the account that an email service has been setup.

@Townman wrote:
On the user portal connection detail screen, will that show email connectivity details if no email box has been configured?
Can that screen have a comment added to indicate that mailboxes need to be established before trying to connect to them please?

We'll pass the feedback on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf wrote:

@Townman wrote:

As far as I can see, there's absolutely no indication on the account that an email service has been setup.

OK I'll ask the question differently - does the new user communications give any guidance on how to set up connection to an email box / service?

Given the number of people who have tried to set up an email client connection to a Plusnet email box which has not been established must lead to asking why?  I suggest that something must be offering "in their face" information - possibly along the lines of the old username@username.plus.com default email address set up details?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Townman wrote:
OK I'll ask the question differently - does the new user communications give any guidance on how to set up connection to an email box / service?

Not that I can see.

@Townman wrote:
Given the number of people who have tried to set up an email client connection to a Plusnet email box which has not been established must lead to asking why?  I suggest that something must be offering "in their face" information - possibly along the lines of the old username@username.plus.com default email address set up details?

I'll pass the feedback on.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet