cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed setting up second email address in Thunderbird

FIXED
MarthaB

Help needed setting up second email address in Thunderbird

I have two email addresses with PN. These were set up for me some years ago by a PN adviser. Sadly my system crashed and my Thunderbird backup files proved to be corrupt. I contacted PN and the problem was escalated to the next level - and the response was:

Thanks for your patience. 

We would suggest following the guides to setting up your mailbox via Thunderbird on our Plusnet forums. As for troubleshooting why it is not working unfortunately as this is not our platform we would not be able to help. We do offer a platform at Webmail.plus.net which we are able to support. 

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch by phone on 0800 013 2632 if we can be of further assistance.

- a very straight bat but not very helpful at all. Can anyone help please? I know that one of the addresses one@username.plus.com was an imap address with the incoming server set as imap://mail.username.plus.com and the other, two@username.plus.com had a server setting of imap://imap.plus.net. Any helpful advice would be gratefully received.

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Help needed setting up second email address in Thunderbird

Fix

@MarthaB  not a very useful response, I agree. Understandably you cant expect support to know how to set up Thunderbird but It would have been better if they had pointed you at the help pages here for the general settings https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/.

If you are using imap then the incoming server is imap.plus.net and the outgoing is relay.plus.net.

The help pages are a little out of date , in that you CAN now use SSL/STARTTLS. Use port 993 for IMAp and port 587 for STARTTLS on outgoing smtp.

Post back if anything is not clear after reading the help pages.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Not sure where you obtained those URL references to the IMAP servers, but they are both wrong and incorrectly stated.

As @MisterW advised the IMAP server is imap.plus.net and is the same for all email accounts.

What is different is the specification of the mailbox user name - for address@myaccount.plus.com the user name is ...

• If 'address' is the default mailbox: myaccount
  • If 'address' is a secondary mailbox: myaccount+address

The default mailbox uses the same password as the user account and a secondary mailbox the password assigned under manage my email in the user portal.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MarthaB

Thanks both to MisterW and Townman. The URL references were provided by a PN adviser some years ago when I first set up the second email address (an alias address was also used). I think that I've now solved my email problems by using the advice from both the posts as well as a bit of guesswork. PN should really provide clearer advice for setting up a second email address for all the email clients; I certainly don't think that their customer service pathway is very good. I need to say that the customer service adviser to whom I spoke to did really try her best - bless her. The process was let down by the people who were subsequently asked to deal with the query.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

PN should really provide clearer advice for setting up a second email address for all the email clients; 

The email service provided by Plusnet is basically a free legacy service. Most ISP's don't provide the additional email address facility, to get that you would normally have to have a paid for email service from a provider. You would also need your own domain. To expect Plusnet to provide advice on how to set up every possible email client is asking too much. They provide the basic generic details, and its up to you to relate those to the specific email client you choose to use.