Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Emails sent to me are being rejected as SPAM

FIXED
flyingpencil
Dabbler

Help! Emails sent to me are being rejected as SPAM

However, I'm not sure if this is my Plusnet email address, or others that I use for various websites. So, for example, I cannot receive emails via 'info@mywebsite.com' (directed to my Plusnet account) but there isn't a problem with 'name@username.plus.com'

I have checked these websites and they are not being blocked in SpamHaus. Could it be a Plusnet problem?

Any help is much appreciated!

David

5 REPLIES 5
flyingpencil
Dabbler

Re: Help! Emails sent to me are being rejected as SPAM

To answer my own question, a test mail I sent has now been received and the header appears to suggest that an IP address assigned to Plusnet is "DNBL listed" and "DNSBL listed". Can anyone explain this, please?

Is it caused by a single user that causes an entire block of IP addresses to be listed as such?

Searching on Google it does appear to suggest this, but can anything be done about it in future?

Can I create my own IP address so that it can never be "DNBL/DNSBL listed"?

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

******@****.plus.com
    (ultimately generated from ***)
    host mx.avasin.plus.net [212.159.9.200]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM: ***@*** SIZE=8001: 550 Sender rejected. IP is DNSBL listed - http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=94.76.236.225

Reporting-MTA: dns; titanium.webserver25.com

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;******@****.plus.com
Status: 5.0.0 Remote-MTA: dns; mx.avasin.plus.net Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Sender rejected. IP is DNSBL listed - http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=94.76.236.225
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

My assessment of this situation is that you have a domain hosted with Poundhost that is configured to relay emails to your .plus.com email address. This essentially means that any email sent to your domain will be seen as originating from Poundhost's IP's.

Poundhost's mail servers appear to be on a naughty list, so our email servers are rejecting the messages.

Having said that, they don't seem to be listed any more, so is this still happening?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

flyingpencil
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply. The problem appears to have resolved itself.

I have several domains listed with Everyman Hosting, but I've never heard of PoundHost before.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Poundhost/Simply Transit own the offending IP, so they probably have some sort of affiliation with Everyman:

offending-ip.jpg

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

flyingpencil
Dabbler

OK thanks, Bob. I've contacted Everyman to see what they have to say. The thought of transferring about 30 domains to another provider doesn't really appeal to me, so I hope they can offer some decent advice!