cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heard that PLUS NET are closing the F9 webmail system

mikebaul

Heard that PLUS NET are closing the F9 webmail system

I have heard informally that PLUS NET plan to close the F9 webmail system that I have been using for years. 

I am wondering what I need to do to move it elsewhere and to who. 

I would prefer not to have to pay as currently it is included in the plus net broadband fee so are there any recommendations for online free services that can take over the email hosting.  

Is the process difficult; i have about 5 email accounts that my family use.

Any advice or recommendations appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Heard that PLUS NET are closing the F9 webmail system

Where have you "heard" this?

Until Plusnet make a formal announcement, this is just a rumour.  It was mooted a year or two ago, but there has been no formal progress on such a strategy, beyond...

1. Removing the option to retain email after closing a subscription account
  2. Removing the email option on all new accounts

Where users have used the naked ISP domain name version of email addresses, they have a fairly urgent need to plan for the future, for they will need to establish a new email address and communicate that to all correspondents.  This is especially urgent if they are contemplating changing ISP, which might be the case if they are planning to upgrade to FTTP and want to keep their existing telephone number.  [We have not yet had a formal announcement on how the Ofcom right to port for landlines might change this space.]

Where users have used their own domain name for email, all that they need to do is to find a new hosting provider for their domain name and migrate their hosting.  Mythic Beasts looks like a good starting point.  See Hosting - Shell Accounts - UK-based - Mythic Beasts (mythic-beasts.com) email only gives double Plusnet's FUP storage for just £2pcm.

There are plenty of free single mailbox (address) providers, such as Google, Outlook and Yahoo - personally I favour Outlook for single email addresses as it integrates very nicely across PCs, phones and tablets for sharing contacts, calendars, reminders, notes and to do lists ... etc.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobDickson
Grafter

According to PlusNet support, "there is a planned closure of our email platform as per information publicly available through our Community forums.".

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@RobDickson Would be good if they could point to this 'publicly available' information.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Or is ‘they’ referring to a poorly trained agent who is aware that new accounts no longer come with an email add.on, giving out confusing information that’s open to interpretation?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Hey there guys,

Nothing has been communicated to match what has been said, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Cheers, @willcutforth 

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@RobDickson - sadly one cannot believe everything spoken by first line support - if they cannot provide a link to such claims, they are probably not correct.

As @Baldrick1 hints, there is too much misinformation / misunderstanding spoken by first line agents.

Really good to have @willcutforth (one of the well informed guys) confirm what has been advised by the community members - email is not available to new customers and cannot be retained by departing users.  That is a country mile different from an announcement to close the service.

All that said, in these days of changing ISPs with the same frequency of changing one's mobile phone, using an ISP's email domain name for one's email service becomes questionable wisdom.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks for your messages, and for confirming that what I was told was wrong.