Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads up - some rather nasty spam just hit my spam folder

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Heads up - some rather nasty spam just hit my spam folder

Sorry to disturb you.
Someone sent me thee pictures they seem to be from you and your boyfriend I'm really troubled by this why do you send
your private naked photos around?? this is beyound my understanding. It's in attachment

attached is a zip file containing an image  img40434 except it isn't.
Because I have changed the settings to show known extensions it is an exe file and Kasperky jumped all over it - contains Backdoor.Win32.CPD.pez
My question - other than warning everyone - is does the Plusnet anti virus check zip files
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Heads up - some rather nasty spam just hit my spam folder

I got that email on 7th April, and was sent to: and cc: using mailbox names I had from when the Plusnet customer database was hacked years ago.
Fortunately being a Linux user I don't have to worry about trivial nuisances such as Win32 viruses  Cool
picbits
Rising Star

I rarely see viruses in my inbox although I have around 20-30 a day hitting my email server.
I run my own email server at home and anything with a virus just gets blackholed - they don't even get through to my inbox. Spam is allowed (just in case there is a genuine message which has been marked as spam).
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
My question - other than warning everyone - is does the Plusnet anti virus check zip files

Would that not involve having to unpack the zip first? I don't know, but I would have thought that would constitute a breach of privacy. Either way, I'm surprised if PN email has any virus scan if they can't even be bothered to implement https.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

just check any emails - this is typical
X-PN-Virus-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v5.00)
X-PN-Spam-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v5.00)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The 'worrying ' email is quite a common ploy to get people to open an attachment.  Naked photos, a bill you know nothing about or something of that sort.  You just have to use your common sense and be guided by clues such as poor spelling and grammar.  Common sense offers better protection than any antivirus program. 
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Uhh! Where would we be if they didn't make mistakes with grammar and spelling?!  Crazy
That's RPM to you!!