Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having mailbox unarchive, mission impossible it seems

simztypeuk
Dabbler

Having mailbox unarchive, mission impossible it seems

Afternoon All

Unfortunately it seems that my efforts to keep my mailbox under control in my Outlook client with IMAP settings, did not have the same effect on the Plusnet servers. As such, my main mailbox was completely archived over a week ago now. I called support to request my mailbox be unarchived so that I could look to move some or all of it to another area/mail system on the same day. I was told it would be 24 to 48 hours to restore, never happened.

I called in on Monday this week and spoke to someone else who informed me that the original tech who dealt with my request was on leave and could not access their ticket, so a new request had to be made. Again, 24 to 48 hours quoted as a turnaround time from that point. 

Come Wednesday, nothings happened and still missing all my emails. Call in again, get told more or less the same and promised a call back today to confirm what is happening, much like the previous two techs, no call, no emails.

What gives? At the time it happened and I woke up to an empty IMAP mailbox, I thought okay, 30 days before permanently deleted, shouldn't be a problem. Now, after 1 week, multiple calls in and still no mailbox restored, I am starting to get worried. I have mailbox folders with some long term emails in there, which relate to cancelled holiday bookings and insurance claims, and currently have zero to hand. 

I notice that others vent on here when presented with similar issues, and they seem to get a resolution quickly, so I hope my words here generate a similar constructive outcomes.

Thanks all!

Simon

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Having mailbox unarchive, mission impossible it seems

@simztypeuk Welcome to the forums. I'm no expert on the IMAP protocol, as I don't use it, but from reading these forums over many years and occasionally solving a few problems, I seem to remember that to avoid getting over-limit, you need to keep all folders as clean as possible, save any mail you want to keep indefinitely to local storage - i.e. off the IMAP server, and compact the folders regularly.

To resolve the loop you appear to be in, put a request in the 'sticky' thread at the top of this board - you have much more chance of it being picked up and actioned.

John
simztypeuk
Dabbler

Thanks for taking the time to comment John.

That is something I have been doing for years, as modern emails tend to be somewhat "bloatware" I am forever purging oversized emails. My biggest issue is I have several family members using their own mailboxes too, so keeping tabs on them all is not easy. There used to be a nice page on the Plusnet portal where you could view the mailbox usage, but I have struggled to find that whilst looking this week. Not sure if it still exists.

Anyway, will see if anything happens on here this evening and into tomorrow morning, and then look at the sticky thread. I will also be calling in again as my call and message left for the latest tech engineer over an hour ago has not taken the time to call me back. Sad

Thanks again!

jab1
Legend

No problem, Simon - that's what the Community is for, to try and help each other. Must admit I thought you were 'new' as in only just joined PN - sorry for that.

Fortunately, I am home alone so don't have family to disrupt my set-up - if I did have family, I'd be looking at setting up Gmail/Yahoo type accounts for them.

Unfortunately, many of the 'useful' features on the PN site have been removed to 'help' us, and I suspect the one you refer to has not been around for a while - I don't recall it and I've been here9 years.

John
simztypeuk
Dabbler

Hi John

Think I have been here since around 2000 Smiley But I do not think it is more than 5 years since I last saw one of those useful pages. Hey ho..

Funny you should mention the other mail portals, after losing my mailbox this week, I have since created a new "daily" Gmail account and plan to switch most of my stuff over and leave the family on their Plusnet mailboxes. Nobody likes change it seems so it looks like it is going to be me... Wink

Thanks

Simon

jab1
Legend

Hope you don't get roped in to sorting the problemsWink if they go 'over quota'

John
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

@simztypeuk Try posting in this topic https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Archived-mailbox-Request-for-it-to-be-unarchived-here/td-p/17831... that’s stickied at the top of this board. 

simztypeuk
Dabbler

Hi Thrall, thanks for the advice. Will put it up there now.

Cheers

Simon

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Simon, apologies first of all for how we've handled your request to unarchive your emails. This is generally a quick and painless process that's normally resolved within 24-48 hours, however due to agent error, the tasks to the relevant team (NetOps) weren't raised correctly internally so the request wasn't put through.

I've raised the task again now and you should hopefully have your mail back today but due to the weekend, it might be Monday but I'm seeing what I can do to try to ensure it's before the weekend. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
simztypeuk
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf

Thanks again for the explanation. I could be rather uncomplimentary about the agents I spoke to. All had similar stories and assured me they would call me back, but still waiting for one single call. To find that all three actually didn't request it is a bit bizarre. Anyway, I feel like progress is being made now so thank you very much! I wish I'd come here on Monday.. Wink

Regards

Simon

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Simon, 

No problem and apologies again for how this was handled, the requests were made but our documented internal process wasn't followed so the requests unfortunately weren't passed on to NetOps to action the unarchive. I've arranged for feedback to be passed on to the relevant advisers though so we can try to prevent this happening again.

I'm trying to get the task I've raised this morning prioritised, but there's only one person in the NetOps team today who's incredibly busy so you may not have your mail back until after the weekend.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
simztypeuk
Dabbler

Okay Gandalf, thanks for the update. What will be will be, at least it's heading in the right direction now.

Thanks for pushing this along, much appreciated!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Simon, fingers crossed it's sorted soon

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet