cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has my globalnet address really been hacked?

FIXED
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Has my globalnet address really been hacked?

There's numerous reasons for why it can happen I'm afraid.

It may be that another website that you use the same password for had a breach.

Ideally it's recommended to have one password for each website you use

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I also received a version of one of these emails a couple of days ago, which contained a correct password.

However, I may be able to add a couple of details which could be mildly informative.

Email address - I use unique email addresses for each site I create an account for. This email address was used for MySpace (a site I probably haven't logged into for nearly 15 years!).

Password - a very old, insecure password (8 alphanumeric non-random characters) I foolishly re-used on a few 'low risk' websites - before I reassessed my security habits.

Data breach - paraphrased from wikipedia:

In May 2016, the data for almost 360 million MySpace accounts was offered on a dark market website. The leaked data included email addresses, usernames and weakly encrypted passwords. The exact data breach date is unknown, but analysis of the data suggests it was exposed eight years before being made public, in approximately 2008.

Other data breaches are also undoubtedly being used for these emails.

Am I worried by this particular email? No.

But this does demonstrate the importance of following current very basic security advice (use unique, strong passwords on all accounts). That's the very minimum - also consider multi-factor authentication and other strategies.

Personally I highly recommend using a reputable password manager to more easily achieve better online security.

GrahamD
Hooked

I have received a similar one today, and it has my password included in the mail.

I have been trying to change my email password, not with any success. Madasafish pages don't seem to work for me since we were moved to Plusnet.

How can I change my login?

GrahamD
Hooked

Hi Matthew Wheeler - can you check out my email too please.

I am receiving these emails, and they include my very simple password from Madasafish (originally I was with Totalise)

GrahamD
Hooked

How to change my password on old totalise account

I have had one of those nasty emails that try to blackmail  - but unnervingly, the email has my password from my old totalise days.

My email only account has migrated over the years from Totalise to Madasafish, and finally to Plusnet. I have never been able to change my password since I was migrated to Plusnet. I never had cause to with either Totalise or Madasafish, but it seems now that I do.

Can someone provide info on how I can do this please?

I also have a website domain - can this have been hacked too?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @GrahamD

I can't see any issues on your account. Are you able to change your password Here?

You may need to first change your contact email address to a 3rd party one from your account Here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: How to change my password on old totalise account

Hi @GrahamD

I've replied to your earlier comments about this over Here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
GrahamD
Hooked

Hi,

No, it won't enable me to change from that screen. 

Graham

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@lr

There is another thread right now on this issue - so nothing to worry about.

I've replied on that about 15 minutes ago and asked the mods to remove the BitCoin address and personal details whcih were posted.

I would have a read of that and it sounds like a similar e-mail you've received. Ignore.

You should be able to find it, just sounds like the scammers are trying a new tactic at the moment. 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

Two threads merged.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
GrahamD
Hooked

Thanks for your response.

I have read the email, and it is a carbon copy of the one I received. I assumed it was a scam, as I had a similar one about 6 months ago, but not including my password details.

I still have a problem though, because when I go on the "have I been pwned" website, my email appears in three events, covering many millions of email addresses, so my original password has been stolen - my password remains the same as it has always been on my account, but I can't seem to change it. When I follow Gandalf's link to Madasafish, it says my email doesn't exist.

Any thoughts on how I can change my password? (it is the only one with this particular password).

GrahamD
Hooked

Thanks to all.

I have checked the password on Plusnet, and it is different than my original - I must have changed it when we switched over from Madasafish.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Ah no problem @GrahamD.

Please get back to us if you need any further assistance.

Sammy

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The thing that worries me reading from this thread, is people have said their passwords were in the the e-mail.

Was it just a threat so say "I know your password", or did they actually get it correct and could that have been a hack on PlusNet's servers? Or malware on your device could be another option - for example a keylogger.

Well if they get mine it'll only work on my PlusNet account.

GrahamD
Hooked

Hi,

When I received the email it included my email password, but the one they quoted was from my original Totalise email account, which is now disused - my Plusnet password is different.

I was unnerved because they had one of my old passwords. I have had a few "don't worry" messages, so I will just carry on with life.