cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Plusnet started blocking SMTP traffic from known spam IPs?

oldblokeh
Dabbler

Has Plusnet started blocking SMTP traffic from known spam IPs?

I run my own mail server and block a lot of spam by using zen.spamhaus.org. Up until about May 26 my mail logs showed about 300 spams per day being blocked. They are now down to about 6 or 7 per day. I'm curious to know if Plusnet are blocking the traffic, as I haven't heard of any spam operations being shut down recently. Of course, they may just be on vacation Roll_eyes

3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Has Plusnet started blocking SMTP traffic from known spam IPs?

I think it would be a fair bet that the reduction in spam you've seen isn't coincidence. Processing the stuff is a major load on the mail routing and storage systems, Freeing those to deal with genuine messages should improve performance.

David
oldblokeh
Dabbler

Hmm, interesting if they have, since my mail goes nowhere near their mail systems. I don't have a problem with it, but there may be some who do. It would be nice to have a policy published somewhere it they are doing such traffic filtering.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @oldblokeh,

I've discussed this with a few colleagues and we don't believe this is anything to do with our side of things.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet