cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - advice needed - Can only receive emails from OE on one PC at a time.

arjem
Grafter

HELP - advice needed - Can only receive emails from OE on one PC at a time.

I hope someone in the forum can help. I have had to replace a DLink router after a power cut/surge. I bought and installed a Belkin N150 router and connected two wired desktop PCs. Internet access works fine on both PCs but I have a problem with simultaneous use of Outlook Express on the PCs. I can send emails on both but only download emails on one PC dependent on which was turned on first. Plusnet support says the problem is with the Belkin router. Belkin say it is a problem with Plusnet settings? Can anyone help with advice on how to fix the problem?
12 REPLIES 12
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: HELP - advice needed - Can only receive emails from OE on one PC at a time.

Hi arjem,
Have you tried leaving a copy of your messages on the server? As when you've downloaded messages on one OE they won't be there for the other one if you haven't selected that option.
Jojo Smiley
arjem
Grafter

Hi JoJo - I should have said each PC has a separate user with a separate email address so the emails on the servers are only downloaded for that user.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Deleted, simultaneous posting.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

are they all being down loaded to default?, you have to set up rule for them to go into separate boxes on the server
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?3A9gtk3TO7Vnm5tygj41WxGvNgoXUgKqC3f0fFmIgOsmrrsujjYNOoAbUr2%2FgAxC&r...
Email address summary
Email Address Type Destination
@ Mailbox   (Default)
arch@ Alias odds@pe.co.uk
c4@ Alias odds@pe.co.uk
cf@ Alias odds@p.co.uk
craft@ Mailbox
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Fundamental check is whether you can telnet the mail server on the PC which won't collect emails
http://community.plus.net/library/networking/testing-network-faults/#telnet Section 8
arjem
Grafter

Hi Oldjim
Thanks for the information. I have tried the fundamental check on the PC not receiving emails and :-
First with AVG scanning incoming emails I got error message 'ERR AVG POP3 Server: Cannot connect to to mail server'
Second with AVG scanning disabled - received  message 'Connecting to mail.plus.net' - after a while it timed out and Telnet closed.
What should I do now?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

perhaps uninstall AVG and try again
arjem
Grafter

Yes - I could do that but I know that if I turn both PCs off and then turn on the PC that could not receive emails, it will then be able to receive emails so I am not sure AVG is the source of the problem.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The only other thing I can think of is that something is only allowing one login to the email server from your router and I haven't the faintest idea what that could be
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Have you checked that the PC with the problem is getting its IP address via DHCP ?
It doesnt have a static IP address which is conflicting with one of the other PC's does it ? ( but that would also give problems with internet access as well !! )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

arjem
Grafter

Thanks for the responses. Just to add to this annoying issue; yesterday both PCs were receiving emails. Today only one can receive emails!!
I have rung Belkin support. I believe there response (it was an Indian voice on a very bad line) was that the ISP should reset the email ports. Does that make sense?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I believe there response (it was an Indian voice on a very bad line) was that the ISP should reset the email ports. Does that make sense?

Nope, they're talking rubbish.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.