cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail bouncing my emails with ‘Not Authorized’

dleholt
Grafter

Gmail bouncing my emails with ‘Not Authorized’

I’ve been running a personal email server for several years on my PlusNet connection with static IP. I set this up back when PlusNet didn’t support encrypted connections to their own servers and it’s worked pretty flawlessly until today I tried to send an email to a gmail account and it bounced back saying my IP isn’t authorised to send - 

https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NotAuthorizedError

Is there a way to get PlusNet to authorise my IP address as per this link?

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Gmail bouncing my emails with ‘Not Authorized’

Think you’ll need to send via relay.plus.net rather than your own box.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dleholt
Grafter

Yeah maybe. It’s been so long since I set this up I’m a little rusty. If I reconfigure my email clients to send direct to relay.plus.net then I think I’ll need to adjust things like my DKIM/SPF DNS records. Or maybe I can configure postfix on my server to forward via relay.plus.net.

Maxrom

I've just had the same issue - running a mail server for years, which now is unable to send to gmail addresses. Is there anyway to sort this out? I have a static IP on my account, and would prefer to keep things running as they have been for many years, and not use the plus net relays.

dleholt
Grafter

It looks as though Gmail has its own block list similar to the Spamhaus PBL. Where as I used to have to apply for removal from Spamhaus every year, there doesn’t appear to be a similar way to get removed from gmail’s block list. Therefore I had to change my mail server to forward via PlusNet’s relays by adding ‘relayhost = relay.plus.net’ to postfix’s main.cf

Then I had to update my SPF record to add ‘include:madasafish.com‘ so that my emails wouldn’t get rejected for failing SPF.

It all works fine now, although theoretically any PlusNet subscriber could now pass my SPF, but I have configured DKIM to mitigate this.

Hope that helps