Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail Send As Feature Not Working

mouseblack
Dabbler

Gmail Send As Feature Not Working

Hello All,

For some months now I have successfully been able to send emails from Gmail via relay.force9.net.

This evening sent emails are being bounced back with the error message...

The response from the remote server was:

554 avasout03 smtp ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy)

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Gmail Send As Feature Not Working

Hi there,

I remember this used to be an issue some time ago and when we were about to investigate the problem, it seemed to fix itself. Sad

I’ve done some digging and found the previous thread Here.

Could you PM me the email address you’re trying to send to, the date & the time of the email?

I’ll then raise this to our NetOps team to investigate for you. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Gandalf and @JW

I guess in the configuration described all submission messages will appear to be from a limited number of Gmail IP addresses.

Might this be as simple as Gmail’s IP addresses have been (correctly?) blackballed for being a known source of spam?

Might their IP addresses be overseas and therefore subject to PN’s submission rate limiting?

Personally I do not see the benefits of this way of working given the complications it causes and the exposure risk to PN of spam injection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JW
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 24

The error message and reporting server would suggest that one or more of Google's servers have been picked up as attempting to pass spam through our outbound platform.

Inbound from Google wouldn't be impacted, as that's expected and comes in via different methodologies and via the inbound platform, rather than relay.plus.net.

Jon W
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@JW 

Thank you, I think that you are confirming my theory - Gmail acting as a submission agent is being profiled as a source of spam, thereby impacting general use of the mechanism.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As a heads up I've raised a task to our NetOps support team to investigate this further.

Will be happy to update this thread when I know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I’ve received a response back today and I’ve been advised that unfortunately it doesn’t look like this is something we’d be able to fix. 

Once the spam issue from Google’s servers goes away, the problem should fix itself. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mouseblack
Dabbler

Thanks for your help Anoush.

The issue does seem to have resolved itself

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I’m happy to see this is sorted now @mouseblack 

Let us know if there’s anything else you’d need help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet