cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freenetname domain email - problems due to spamming. Frustration

bobcox
Hooked

Freenetname domain email - problems due to spamming. Frustration

I am frustrated with the lack for response over this issue (details below). Initial support request posted 13 Oct, chased 24 October. I've spend too long yesterday and this morning listening to music with no reply on your Customer 'Support' line. Please help resolve this.

It is clear that my address has been used to send spam, I have received some myself (usual threat about hacking email and to send bitcoins). Initial indication was my messages not being received by regular contact using a BTOpenworld address. Subsequently I have found from gmail users that my message are ending up in their spam folders.

Initial report to Madasafish on 13 October:

We've received your Ticket, thanks for contacting us. Your reference number is: 183554073.

==============
Messages being sent to address@btopenworld.com are not being received but I am not receiving any failure message. This address is live and messages I have sent have been successfully received until recently. I suspect the message might be being trapped for some reason by BTinternet. Your advice please
==============

I asked for an update without response on 24 October adding a message I have received from postmaster at BTInterent as follows:

The domain"@bobcox.co.uk" having no spf record.The traffic sent by such domain with no SPF record would be less.
An SPF record is required to increase the traffic limit.No SPF record results in rejecting the mails once the counter reached its limit.
but the domain holder should be made aware to modify their SPF records in-order to ensure timely delivery of mails.Kindly contact Domain admin/Email provider  to   make changes.

For reference:

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx%3a&run=toolpage#

Checking with the suggested MXtoolbox, I found this report:

Record Type Status Result
DKIM No DKIM-Signature header found
DMARC FAILED
SPF FAILED

Clearly there are some problems to be resolved.

Bob Cox

4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Freenetname domain email - problems due to spamming. Frustration

Madasafish domain provision does not allow you to create TXT records in DNS, so you will not be able to create an SPF record, as suggested by BT. You would need to transfer the domain to another email host if this is something you're wanting to do.

Apologes if that wasn't quite the response you were hoping for.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobcox
Hooked

So what are you going to do about the service I'm you paying for - to delver messages from my address?

bobcox
Hooked

Trying again.

You have completely missed the point.

I don't want to create a SPF record. I just want my messages delivered.

Given that they were successfully being received until mid October, something has changed. BT seems to think it is due to no SPF record. If there has never been a SPF record on this service why are messages failing?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I don't know why your messages are failing. I am not well versed in BT's mail handling practices, and neither do I have access to their servers.

If BT are saying the only way to resolve the issue is with an SPF record though, then you are sadly out of luck as we have no current plans to implement this.

There has never been an SPF record configured for your domain.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵