Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forgotten webmail password

FIXED
littlejack
Dabbler

Forgotten webmail password

Hi folks,

I have three mailboxes in my Plusnet account. Each of the mailboxes has a different user name each with a common root. I have passwords for two of them (one of which is the default) and can access these two mailboxes in Webmail. However for the third mailbox I have forgotten the password. How do I set up a new password? This mailbox is getting bigger and bigger and Plusnet are chasing me to reduce it and as I cannot access it I have a problem!!

15 REPLIES 15
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Forgotten webmail password

Hi @littlejack,

To amend individual mailbox details you'll need to login to the member centre, click on manage account then manage my email. Here you'll need to click on the mailboxes tab which will list all your mailboxes. Here you can change you password for them individually (your default is linked to your account and cannot be changed unless you change your main account password). 

littlejack
Dabbler

Hi,

Well this certainly sorted that problem out but it has precipitated another!! I set up a new password as you suggested and am now able to enter the previously "locked out" mailbox. Trouble is I am now locked out from Plusnet server on my Apple Mail. I have been asked for a password and have entered the new one only to have it rejected! Any thoughts?

Thanks

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Fix

Hi @littlejack, thanks for updating us.

In the first instance, we'd recommend deleting and then re-adding the account from Apple Mail.

I realise that this is probably the first thing you tried but as I'm sure you can appreciate I have to cover all the bases.

Please let me know if you've already done this, or if it doesn't work.

littlejack
Dabbler

Hi,

No I have not done this because I wanted to get your advice before I put another nail in my coffin! Logic told me that my password on Apple Mail is now out of date. Therefore delete the Mailbox and then ADD a new Mailbox with all details as before except with new password. I will try that tomorrow morning and let you know. Thanks for help.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @littlejack, let us know how you get on with this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
littlejack
Dabbler

So far so good! My first and second try was to disable the problem mailbox (rather than delete it). This did not work. With fingers crossed I then deleted the problem mailbox on my computer and then "Added" a new account. This worked first time! I still have a problem with my default account on my computer (not on Webmail), I suspect a similar password problem needs to be resolved.

So we are sorted! Thank you. I can now get down to reducing the content of my prime mailbox which had got way to large and was the start of this whole saga.

Thanks again and have a good New Year.

PS The email that is sent reminding a Plusnet account holder than the email content is getting way too high needs a rewrite. The instructions "Just follow these steps" are next to useless.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That's great to hear! I'm glad it's sorted the issue.

Wishing you a Happy New Year too! Please just get back to us if we can assist further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
littlejack
Dabbler

Oh dear I am back! Now I cannot log into the Member Centre, it will not accept either or both of my User and Password. I have also noted my default email is Enabled and yet is also Offline  (!!), consequently I cannot log into webmail for this default email address!

Sorry!

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @littlejack, sorry to hear this. With regards to the member centre, are you using just your usual Plusnet username and the default password (the one used for your default mailbox also) to log in with?

Where is the default mail showing offline, is this in a mail client?

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
littlejack
Dabbler

Yes same user and password. I am using Apple Mail. Under the Account Information (for the default email) there is a box to be ticked to Enable the account. That box is ticked.Below that there is a Status line that says Offline. If I see Offline I would usually also see the account was not Enabled. Then I would click Enable and it would come Online.

First reaction would be that it is an Apple problem but even if that was the case, there would be no reason why I could not log into the Member Centre. I have tried to log in with my wife's computer which does not have the default mailbox set up on it, just her own mailbox. She can not log in to the Member Centre either!

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK thanks for confirming. The 'offline' is likely due Apple mail not having the correct details stored for it to connect (or at least it thinking it hasn't).

Just to clarify, did you change the password for the default mailbox too? Or has this not been changed?

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
littlejack
Dabbler

No - BUT when I set up the new password for my account I used the same password as was used for the default account. Could this be the problem? (Obviously the User names are different.)

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It shouldn't cause an issue no.

When logging in, are you manually typing the details (as opposed to allowing the forms to be autofilled)?

When you tried your Wife's computer, again was it just your usual Plusnet username and password you used to log in, rather than the username for her email?

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
littlejack
Dabbler

Well I am getting there slowly. In answer to your two questions

When logging in, are you manually typing the details (as opposed to allowing the forms to be autofilled)?

YES

....was it just your usual Plusnet username and password you used to log in, rather than the username for her email?

YES

However, I have had some success. I used the old password to enter the Members Centre and it worked! So altho I had changed it maybe I did not do things correctly. Sorry.

I still cannot access my default account on/from my computer. (I can access it via Webmail also using "old" password). I have deleted the default account on my computer and ADDED an account with the same details and "old" password. I get the response "that account already exists". I suspect this problem is now at the Apple end of things and for me to sort out. You have been extremely helpful. Time for you to enjoy New Year. I will struggle on!

Thanks