cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force9 IMAP server settings & Thunderbird

Deeday

Force9 IMAP server settings & Thunderbird

Please help: it's the first time that I try to set up Thunderbird with IMAP (always used Outlook Exp on POP3). It basically  works but when I delete a message, instead of moving it to Trash (as chosen in the Settings), the message just disappears (also from webmail).
Note that just after setting up the account, the IMAP folders looked as usual:
- INBOX
-- Drafts
-- Sent
-- Trash
-- Spam
but when I then closed Thunderbird and relaunched it, the IMAP folders got messed up and a spurious Trash folder (INBOX.INBOX.Trash) appeared (also on webmail):
- INBOX
-- Drafts
-- Sent
-- Trash
---- Trash
-- Spam
An article on MozillaZine says (my bold):
It's usually best to leave the IMAP server directory field empty, check the checkmark for "Allow server to overide these namespaces" and to use "INBOX." (the trailing period is critical) in the personal namespace field. There are some IMAP configurations where that's inappropiate [...] If the namespace is not configured correctly you will typically see multiple copies of a child folder, child folders as peers to the Inbox, or be unable to create child folders.

It looks as though the Force9 IMAP server doesn't like the settings that Thunderbird came up with, so moving messages between folders fails. Can someone please suggest some settings that work? My current ones are as per attached picture.
Cheers!
4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Force9 IMAP server settings & Thunderbird

Welcome to the Forum
mine on Free-online has not got the - before the names, and that works OK
I also have multiple mail boxes on mine, currently seven
Deeday

Thanks for the screenshot, pierre_pierre.  Undecided I was hoping to see that some settings were different from mine.
The dashes before the names are not really there, I put them just to show the indentation as it appears on webmail.
Any other suggestion welcome. Btw, I'm using Thunderbird 7.01 on Ubuntu Oneiric.
Cheers.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Deeday
Note that just after setting up the account, the IMAP folders looked as usual:
- INBOX
-- Drafts
-- Sent
-- Trash
-- Spam

On P_P's screenshot and in my settings (with Thunderbird 8.0 on Vista) the 'Trash" folder shows with the name 'Deleted'. However in webmail (SquirrelMail) it shows as 'Trash' and in a trial webmail program it shows as 'Deleted Items' - though in 'Personal Preferences' that is associated with 'Trash'. I think this implies the real folder name is 'Trash', but mail clients can use their own names for it, and Windows Thunderbird seems to call it 'Deleted'. Don't know whether that should apply also to the Ubuntu version.
I think I'd be inclined to delete the double-indented Trash, and that mailbox account in Thunderbird then close Thunderbird. On Windows I'd probably restart my computer at this point just in case it made a difference. Then open Thunderbird and set up the account again.
(For information, I'm a Force9 user and my advanced settings are identical to those shown by P_P. The normal settings differ in the IMAP Server Name, of course, but also Authentication method shows as 'Password, transmitted insecurely'.)
David
Deeday

It works now! Cheesy
No idea what has changed since yesterday. I tested Thunderbird 7.0.1 on Windows XP and it worked OK (with the Trash folder called Deleted, as spraxyt said). Then I tried again on Ubuntu, removing the previous account and associated ImapMail folders for the 3rd time, and it works fine.
I'm sure I repeated exactly the same actions...   Oh well.