cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder size check

rng1

Folder size check

Hi,

I have had the "over 75%" mailbox message and am attempting to reduce mailbox size by deleting unwanted messages.

Two issues:

1)  Is there any way to get an overview of folder size which includes size of subfolders?  It is tedious having to trawl through every folder individually to find out where the large volumes are.

...and this is aggravated by...

2) After checking the size of two folders the system freezes and won't move on to another folder.  I can click on the next folder but the information just stays showing the data for the last folder I looked at.  I've found I can clear this by going back to normal email view then back into settings > folders.  This cannot be right...?

Thanks

Richard

17 REPLIES 17
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Folder size check

Hi @rng1, just to check, are you folder set on Webmail or are these folders created on a web client?

If you go to settings on the bottom left (webmail), this should show you the folder sizes, though I am really sorry if you are experiencing issues viewing this.

Going forward, to manage your emails it may be worth setting up a POP account and downloading emails to the client and store them locally (a Google search will help you with how to store emails locally on clients if you're unsure). This will reduce the space being taken up on the server.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Font fixed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
rng1

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm using Webmail  to try to read folder sizes.  This is where I have the problem of only being able to look at two folders before I have to leave the 'Folders' tab and return in order to see another folder.  

(I may be being picky...but 'Settings' doesn't "show" any folder sizes?  It just leads me to Manage Folders and  four clicks later you can see one folder size!)

I use Outlook 365 for most mail activity and the folders have been created in this.

I would prefer to stick with IMAP as I want to be able to read emails on mobiles when travelling.

Main issue is: can I get an overview of where the major volume is situated?

Thanks

Richard

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @rng1,

Thank you for getting back in touch. Unfortunately, there isn't a Webmail page that will give you an overview of your folder sizes and where the bulk of the volume is situated - the only way to do this is to view each folder size individually. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause and I'll pass on feedback about this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
musicman46

I've had the same issues as @rng1. Plusnet sends an auto email instruction to take action to reduce size of mailbox, but spectacularly fails to provide help and support enabling this to be done easily. It would be helpful if there were an article on the Plusnet site covering all these issues. It isn't even clear what to do with a large item once it's been found - to which folder should it be moved, or how should it be deleted? Until answers are provided, I am unable to comply with Plusnet's instruction "you need to take action to reduce the size of your mailbox".

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@musicman46 Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry that you feel the ticket doesn't provide instructions.

Effectively the options you have are to delete any large e-mails or use an e-mail client to download them from the server onto your computer or phone

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
musicman46

I think you missed the word 'easily' . I didn't say there were no instructions. It's just that they are not easy to put into practice.
AA2

Same problem.  I am trying to reduce my mailbox but plusnet does not easily tell me the total size of my mailbox - at the moment I have to go into each individual folder to find the information and then manually total them up.  Really?!! There must be a more efficient way to know the total size of my mailbox?

musicman46

I agree. If Plusnet can quote the total mailbox size in their '75%' auto-email, then surely the same information should be available to the customer when logged in to their Webmail site. Of course, that wouldn't necessarily mean that the customer could find it on that site without having an hour or three to spare!

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @musicman46,

I am sorry this is not the case and completely appreciate your feedback. It would be  more efficient, I will pass this feedback on to the relevant team.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Brian888Brian

Well, we are now  in June 2019 and nothing has happened.

Despite you being "really sorry " and  "passing on feedback about this",

What has happened to  Plusnet's proud boast of  "We'll do you proud" ?

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Brian888Brian,

We are sorry to hear you feel this way and can completely understand your frustration. We do our utmost best to resolve any query as quickly as possible and I am sorry this isn't the case with this.

There is a section in our Plusnet help and support where it explains where to view the 'folder size'. It is under the 'How do I make changes to my folders?' on the this link.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Brian888Brian 

A warm welcome to the forums.  You being a new joiner, you will not be aware that something being referred on does not always result in a response back here.

For information...

If Plusnet can quote the total mailbox size in their '75%' auto-email, then surely the same information should be available to the customer when logged in to their Webmail site

Their Webmail site does not clearly reflect that PlusNet's webmail service (the web client front end) is an instance of a generic Webmail Client called Round-Cube.  That product is neither owned nor developed by Plusnet.  It has no interfaces to summarise folder sizes, it what it is and Plusnet has no means of creating one.

PlusNet's mailbox size auto-email list works out the size of the largest mailboxes by running file store utilisation queries.  Just because Plusnet can generate these point-in-time size stats for the purpose of bulk informing users on being above 75% of the FUP does not mean that they can be made accessible (and be dynamically up to date) within the webmail client.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Brian888Brian

Your replies suggest that Plusnet has no direct control over the content of the 'pages' and does not have any interest in asking Round-Cube to make minor changes for the benefit of Plusnet's paying customers.
Is that what you are saying please ?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I am saying that Round Cube is an off the shelf product used by thousands of organisations, it is what it is. It already provides facilities to inspect the size of each folder, I doubt that they’d be mined to make a change for one comparatively small ISP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.