Did you mean: 

Filters, again, again,again.

arturox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Filters, again, again,again.

05/12/2018

Madasafish/Freenetname.

The set of filters I have from the FNN/Madas days that are extracting some specific email addresses out of my FNN mail box junk/rubbish doesn't seem to be working any more, as mails using those addresses are just vanishing... (Somewhere).

It could well be something to do with... Neither can I send to or receive mail from that FNN master mailbox.

Has the Madas/FNN  stuff now been totally subsumed into the Plusnet system so that it no longer exists?

Mmmnnn! Bottom line is...How do I get my mail again?

Ax

14 REPLIES 14
arturox
Rising Star

Re: Filters, again, again,again.

I think I've now fixed it.

I went into Pn Webmail and noticed there were over a thousand pieces of junk in the FNN inbox... Ping!! maybe the box was full.  (I have no idea of its capacity).

I remove (Competely)  every piece of junk from the inbox, went away and had a cup 'o tea (I'm English) and when I returned and threw a few test mails up the line they all returned okay.

Will do some more testing later, there's proper work to be done before the end of business today.

🙂

Ax

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Do FNN mailboxes have a hard 100MB quota?

David
arturox
Rising Star

@spraxyt wrote:

Do FNN mailboxes have a hard 100MB quota?

Interesting thought.

I have no idea but it would be interesting to know for future reference.

Anyone have any idea what it really is?

Thanks

Ax

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you've had issues with your Freenetname mail service, but I'm glad you've got this sorted now.

For reference, all Madasafish mailboxes do indeed have a hard quota of 100 MB.

Let us know if you need any further assistance at all.

[edit]

I was wrong, they have a hard quota of 250 MB. Things had changed since last time I looked.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
arturox
Rising Star

Thanks for that bit of info, appreciated.

Brings to mind another related question.

Time wise, how often does the system auto empty the mailbox?

Is the time configurable?

Ax

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problem.

I don't believe we auto-empty a mailbox, or at least we'd email you before we archive the mail.

When you reach the 250MB any mail sent to you would bounce back to the sender.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
arturox
Rising Star

That is strange.

As I only download a few specific filtered addresses from that General FNN mailbox all the rest of the stuff that accumulates in it is the usual total rubbish, the Manhood extending pills, the russian women, the Bitcoin fools, the would be extortionists who've seen us up to mischief through our WebCams etc...  😉     No WebCams in this house.  🙂

What happens to all that detritus over a long period?

AFAICR. I've only had to manually empty that FNN general mailbox a couple of times during all the years I've had it, when the rubbish traffic got heavy.

Ax

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Do the Mail Rules you have set up for this FNN mailbox move rubbish messages to a junk folder, then another rule clear out that folder of anything which has been in it for more than (say) 21 days?

David
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It sounds like PlusNet will do nothing, unless they need to.

I would set up a mail rule to delete any spam which is say over a month old, to save you having to empty it out manually and risk getting your mailbox full again and missing out on important mail.

I don't use PlusNet e-mail, and it depends on whether you use a mail client or webmail for example and if it is possible you can set up a rule on server level which will do that for you.

I am sure someone who knows this better than me can advise. 

arturox
Rising Star

@spraxyt wrote:

Do the Mail Rules you have set up for this FNN mailbox move rubbish messages to a junk folder, then another rule clear out that folder of anything which has been in it for more than (say) 21 days?

Good thought, but...

The problem is, being a former FNN/Madas account, now subsumed into the Plusnet system, I have no access to any filters or rules I might have set in that previous place.

Ax

arturox
Rising Star

@Alex wrote:

I would set up a mail rule to delete any spam which is say over a month old, to save you having to empty it out manually and risk getting your mailbox full again and missing out on important mail.

Again a good thought, but...

As noted in my previous reply, no access to any filters, rules etc.

I don't use PlusNet e-mail, and it depends on whether you use a mail client or webmail for example and if it is possible you can set up a rule on server level which will do that for you.

I am sure someone who knows this better than me can advise. 

The Plusnet Webmail app (Roundcube) has no config options that I can find to control/regulate time to auto empty any folders.

It does have a few trivial options, like "Clear Trash on Logout",  etc, but nothing related to time controls.

I am pleased that some filters/rules I had set in FNN/Madas days are still operating, but without user access to those old configs set a long time ago, I can't even remember what some of them were.

(I can remember a few important ones but not all of 'em.)

Most of my mail work is done by mail client apps on the computer which means the stuff I have rules/filter for are downloaded  'out'  probably three times a day.

I visit by Webmail occasionally to check the box for missed stuff.

Bottom line is, probably 99 percent of the stuff  in that box is junk, so it needs an auto empty facility.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Ax

arturox
Rising Star

Interesting footnote to this thread.

Only since posting here... I've had a substantial increase in the spam/rubbish to the aliases filtered out of the FNN mailbox...

Prior to posting here, very little...

Make of that what you will.  😉

Ax

FWIW = 0

A footnote for Mr Richard Head (Euphamism) We don't have a single Web cam in this house.  🙂

You've gotta laugh...

Ax

spraxyt
Resting Legend

There has been mention of increased activity of that nature of late, and I've received a few of those messages. Perhaps Plusnet addresses are flavour of the week for the scam bots..

So to use a common phrase, it's probably just coincidence.

David
arturox
Rising Star

Coincidence...

Not my experience from many years of internet use.

Post on a Forum and the spam load increases noticeably for a while.

Post on another forum using a different persona/address, and sudden the spam count for that address shoots up.

These days, just one of the normal downsides of using something open like a forum.  😕

As the saying goes... Such is life... 😉

Ax