cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Service Fast but Sending Emails Slow

devonmail

Fibre Service Fast but Sending Emails Slow

Since transferring to Fibre, very pleased with the high speeds, browsing sppeds are great, but emails are really slow to send out.  I also use another service for a domain name and they go much, much faster, so what could the reason be for the slow relay.plus.net service.  Is there any other setting etc that could speed up emails.  I have just sent an email containing two lines to one person which took over 30 seconds to send and this is common.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) All caps title edited as per forum rule.
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre Service Fast but Sending Emails Slow

Hi devonmail.
Is your domain based email sent via an online webmail service maybe?
If so it sounds like you may have an issue with security software restricting port 25 (for outbound mail).
Let us know if that's not the case.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There are multiple posts about slow email performance.  Bob Cullen has posted here and acknowledges the problem here
Does your IP address start 46.208 ?
devonmail

Hi, Thanks for your reply, but cannot be the security software as the  other emails, serviced by a different web domain host, go out normally and much faster, it is only the relay plus net outgoing emails that are slow - and from two differeent email services - Outlook and Thunderbird and not a web based email service.  My IP address - hopefully this is the right one as I put thru a Cmd  ipconfig to get it -  so it starts with 192.  Thanks, hope this all helps
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The 192.168.xxx.xxx address is the address of your computer on your local network.  Your Internet IP address can be seen on your router status page or by visiting a site such as http://whatismyipaddress.com/
devonmail

Thanks for that.  checked and the address starts 84.92.
devonmail

Have just carried out a BT Speed Test, which comes in at 74mbp - which is great for me living in the depths of Devon, but sent an email at 8.25am on a filthy morning when most people will stay in bed - 2 lines to one email address took 35 seconds to send.  Every time I send an email from Outlook it wont let me close it down until the email goes out and tells me how long to go.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: devonmail
Thanks for that.  checked and the address starts 84.92.

That IP address might be significant - see second quote here.
David
derekhaselden

I'm getting fibre later this week and was hoping that would solve exactly the same problem I and others have -  see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,145979.0.html
Clearly there is an email glitch in the PlusNet system but no-one seems to be paying any attention.